This forum is so necessary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Is it any wonder there are so many uninformed homebrewers out there, especially with this crap being spread on tv?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA7jQ6Wwnqk]YouTube - Good Eats S6E7P2: Amber Waves[/ame]

That episode has been discussed a lot. Believe it or not, it actually got a lot of people on this board started in homebrewing.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

my favorite part is how he treats his yeast. takes it out of the fridge and pitches it into 89 degree water. poor little guys i normally let them warm up a bit then i let them watch me prepare their food. i take good care of my yeast they are my friends.

As a first time brewer (well, on my second batch, but haven't drank the first yet!), it's not so bad. Sure, it's not going to be great beer, but it'll be beer...

While there is a lot to be disagreed with, it doesn't butcher the subject and it does illustrate that getting started need not be a frightening experience. In fact, I would use it to open a brewing class along with some commentary on the points I disagree with like bleach or bottling in your bottle boxes.

As a first time brewer (well, on my second batch, but haven't drank the first yet!), it's not so bad. Sure, it's not going to be great beer, but it'll be beer...

Here's the neat thing you will find. Your first beer will most likely be the worst one you every brew AND the best beer you have ever tasted at the same time... :mug:

we all know he isnt a pro brewer or even a homebrewer most likely but he is trying to spread the word of home brewing. sure the video had some things that none of us would do but its a video that might get other people intersted in brewing, lets hope that they do some more research first but lets not diss the guy for trying. :mug:

He got some terminology wrong but all in all it wasn't bad. There's far worse out there. if it gets people started in brewing their own, then it's all good. No need to go all EAC on him.

Besides... it's the 21st century and he's still rockin' the Thomas Dolby look.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IlHgbOWj4o]YouTube - Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science[/ame]
Gotta give the guy props for that. :D

What do you guys want? This is a guy who just wants to de-mystify cooking.. If ALton can do it anyone can. At least he used a lid and an airlock. I figured he would just put a cheesecloth over the top.

If I were you guys, I would probably be thanking him for spreading the word.

For those of you that are condemning him have you tried his method and have found that it makes bad beer? Or is it that with all your knowledge you just know that it cannot be good.

I always find it incredibly snobby when people start ripping into Alton Brown for this episode, when it has done far more for the hobby and getting it out there than any of us here. It sucks that he catches so much crap from people in the homebrew community, and I am embarrassed by the flack he gets.

It's the first time I saw this clip. I just hope no one tries to brew based soley off this. As long as it generates an idea that is followed by research or talking to fellow brew(or reading a real brewing book) than I don't see much harm. Was kills me is he boiled his steeping grains(at least that is what I assume they were). Plus I love the "Dry-Hopping" technique ;)

For those of you that are condemning him have you tried his method and have found that it makes bad beer? Or is it that with all your knowledge you just know that it cannot be good.

I always find it incredibly snobby when people start ripping into Alton Brown for this episode, when it has done far more for the hobby and getting it out there than any of us here. It sucks that he catches so much crap from people in the homebrew community, and I am embarrassed by the flack he gets.

+1 on both these satements. He's done a lot for getting people into the hobby, just like the mr beer keg...He and the little brown keg are gateways....SO they deserve respect...Yes there are better ways to make beer BUT following either Alton's or the Mr Beer keg instructions will still MAKE BEER.

Think about this, plenty of people on here have f@#ked up much worse on their first batch then Alton did, and it still came out pretty tasty, and they learned from their mistake.

And there are plenty of people around who haven't learned al the proper brewing terms yet either, and still manage to make beer...

He did pretty well for a PRESENTER going from a staff writer's script (who probably had no exeperience with making beer either, and probably got some of the info from some dodgy source material as well.) Having worked in television and radio, when you are churn out a daily or even a weekly show, you don't get the opportunity to sit down and become an expert, or even read an entire book on the topic at hand. You're usually trying to put together multiple shows at the same time....

Besides dissing like this really goes contrary to the ethos of the homebrewer...

I betcha papa charlie was pretty happy to see the hobby he practically invented given such props on a major tv show...whether the info was accurate or not.

17958.jpg

Papa Charlie says Relax....
Revvy says STFU on this topic....it's been done to death, and if the OP had used the search function he would have known this...

Which would be worse, getting interested in brewing from this episode or buying a Mr. Beer kit from CVS? Both of them are not the best ways to brew beer, but they both got alot of people interested in the hobby. I personally am grateful for both.

Love Alton Brown and his show. I'm not an expert on smoking fish, preparing squid, baking cookies, or preparing a brine for a turkey so his shows are great starting points for those activities and show how easy it really is to do. Same thing with his beer episode. He demystifies the process for people that don't know what to do. More power to him for that.

And it gets home brewing in the public eye as well as telling people to go to their LHBS.

Prost, Mr Brown!

could be a lot worse than Alton Brown.....

could be this guy (number one viewed home brewing video on you tube)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAJKWCdaPq4]YouTube - Home brewing the easy way part 1[/ame]

could be a lot worse than Alton Brown.....

could be this guy (number one viewed home brewing video on you tube)

Yeah, but THAT topic has been done to death as well....

He's happy with the beer he makes...He said it numerous times on his videos, he's not going for craft beer...He's doing cheap kit beer, that tastes fine to him, and is cheeper than what he can get at the government run beerstores in Canada.

He's read every "correction" any EAC homebrewer has posted on the youtube comment section, so he "knows" that there are different and better ways to do something....But again,

He's happy with the beer he makes, whether or not your or I think it's swill.....

If it makes him happy...Then I'm sure Papa Charlie would say RDWHAHB to him as well....

SO, why don't we all remember that we're here to make beer, and get along...

im an avid fan of alton's cooking show and i do have to say it was the beer episode that got me interested in home brewing my own beers. then my wife got me the Williams starter kit and the rest is history.

i put the recipe that alton had into promash and it cane out to 8.5 ibu and like 1.056 og. i think i might brew this beer as a brew club expermient.

Latest posts

Back