Need a good intermediate recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiversC174

Reaction score
I have my second brew (a hopped malt extract kit) fermenting as we speak and I want to start to move away from the hopped malt extract kits. I was very happy with my first brew (Coopers Australian Ale) and I plan on being very pleased with my second. I do want to graduate to a more intricate brewing process next time however, and I want to add my own hops. Does anyone know where I can get a good kit or recipe that still uses extracts (dry or liquid) but allows me to use hops of my choice? I have searched plenty of websites and my LHBS but it is a little overwhelming. Just wanted to see if any of you guys have had a good experience with the kind of kit/recipe I am looking for. Thanks guys.

Joe

My LHBS has several recipes available which are exactly what you are looking for. They even have monthly specials on 2 or 3 different ones, so if I am at a loss for what to brew, I get the special. See what the guys at your store recommend.

Look online, or at the recipes here. The recipe section of this forum is what drew me to it.

Or, I'd recommend Al Korzonas's Homebrewing Vol. 1. He has roughly 20 Ale extract recipes in it. I have brewed several of them, and all were good.

Don't stress too much about the step up. It's not hard. After a few of these brews, you will be tweaking other people's recipes, and developing your own.

I think an IPA or APA is a really good starting point for branching away from the kits. The flavor of these styles is really dominated by hops, which can "cover" small flavor defects that would be more evident in more subtle styles. (That's if you like hoppy beers, of course.)

One real easy winner is to convert a brown ale kit to a stout, with some roast barley or patent, and maybe some flaked barley and some hops.... the mash isn't for sugar, ie, you don't have to worry about mashing proper... you're just boiling up some flavour changers.... it's a fun go, if you're interested, I'll get you a "real recipe".

Sasquatch, I am definitely interested. For my third brew I was going to try a porter or a stout anyway. If you could PM the recipe that would be awesome. Thanks.

Joe

I've had good luck with the recipes from my lhbs' web page http://www.thebrewhut.com/Recipes.html. they are pretty thorough and easy to follow instructions. I used the pre hopped kits for my first couple of brews also, and I made some good beers, but once I started using the specialty grains and actual hops I found that much more fun to brew as well as resulting in better beers.

Latest posts

Back