Possible mold on a fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pianosa

Reaction score
Hi all,

I started this beer a couple weeks ago, and added five pounds of apricots five days in the fermentation. Before adding them to primary, I let them soak in Starsan for twenty minutes. Its been a week since I added the apricots, and it looks like there may be mold on them. The gravity is down to 1.013 from 1.068. The beer tastes good, though it is very lactic. I can't tell if the white stuff of the apricots is mold or just yeast, or perhaps just the way apricots look when they soak in beer for a week. Anyone have any experience here? Is this safe to drink?

20120728_154834.jpg

Looks to me like the "mold" is growing on the parts of the apricots outside of the liquid, which probably means that it won't grow in beer. Do you see any powdery spores, or just a white mycelium webbing covering the apricots?

In the future I would remove the skins and the pits and purée I you should get a lot more out of the fruit that way I would think

soaking them in starsan is gross.

can't say what the white stuff is but I would stay positive and imagine it is yeast.

don't know what lactic tastes like.

soaking them in starsan is gross.

not gross, but pointless, the PH is going to rise over time and do nothing.
when fruit caps its out of the alcohol and is a perfect media for mold.
A carboy is better for this because of the small surface area exposed.

If it's mold, it should grow. I think it's probably fine. But keep an eye on it. If it grows, be cautious. If it doesn't, drink the beer, don't eat the fruit.

Latest posts

Back