Cheap a#$ beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeradical

Reaction score
I want to make a cheap ass beer. Yeah go ahead, I'm giving you an easy insult. But while you're at it, share your thoughts about a recipe for the highest flavor/dollar recipe. My friends have been drinking a lot of cheap 40s lately, I've got an extra carboy and was going to try to replicate it for a few Edward-40-Hands parties. Any ideas to recreate the classic flavors of a forty oz Old English worthy of being nestled in a brown paper bag would be welcome. :)

make a cheapa$$ cream ale. 5 gallons:

7 lbs pale 2-row
2 lbs table sugar
1 lb minute rice
munton's yeast
1 oz any 5-6 alpha hops ( like cascade) at 60 minutes

Yeah. Cream-ales are where it's at for a cheap yet delicious beer. They're not high up on my favorite style, but it's one of the only styles that beer-snobs and miller/bud drinkers can enjoy at the same time.

I paid $37 for 50 pounds of two row, and $8 for a pound of willamette hops.

So, I'd use 8 pounds of two row and an ounce or two of willamette, and some saved yeast from another batch for a grand total of $6.92 for 5 gallons.

8 pounds two row (toast a pound if you want first)
.50 willamette 60 minutes
.25 willamette 15 minutes
.25 willamette 5 minutes

washed yeast, either 1056 or pacman

Agreed with the Cream of Three Crops. Made it three times, the second and third with slight variations, and all of them have been delicious.

The first time it cost me $20 on the nose, with the minute rice, and buying the grain and flaked maize by the pound from the shop.

The second time, it cost me < $9 using washed yeast and buying the sack of grain. Even $20 for 5 gallons of beer is pretty good, but I was shocked when I calculated < $10.

If you want to use corn as an adjunct then you can use instant grits subbed by the pound, which are way cheaper than flaked maize.

You can leave off the minute rice and the table sugar and Do a SMASH or 2-row or whatever base malt and your favorite hop even.

One of my favorite IPAs is really just marris otter and cascade or centennial hops. With us-05. Granted minute rice and table sugar are pretty cheap but this is even cheaper.

Back