Aereation with yeast cakes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marius

Reaction score
Hey, I use to pour my wort over the yeast cake of the previous batch. When I do it I always wander if I should aereate the mixture or not since the yeast has already multiplied, so it has passed it's aerobic phase. But I don't know why I always end up aereating.

Is this right? Do you think it should be aereated or not?

Thanks

I would think you should still aerate; the wort is with out oxygen post boil. Aerating would allow the yeast to work in a 'less stressed' evnironment. At the very least it would not hurt, it would allow your brew process to be simplied - aerate every time, no second guesing whether you should or not... :)

pitching straight onto a yeast cake is seriously overpitching, search "yeast washing" and yes you should aerate the wort as stated above. What is your usual process?

Thanks for those answers, :mug:

pitching straight onto a yeast cake is seriously overpitching, search "yeast washing" and yes you should aerate the wort as stated above. What is your usual process?

Brewing day, during my mash, I bottle a batch that has been in primary for three weeks (in wich I piched a packet of dry yeast). I simply leave the yeast inside the fermenter , and after chilling the new wort I pour it over the cake (more or less 1 litre of yeast is what I get with 5 gallon batches), aereate for some minutes and let it sit for three weeks.

I repeat this process one more time, so the yeast has been used three times and a total of 9 weeks under beer. I have three batches running at the same time so I can brew every week. 2 of them will follow the secuence Pale-Red-Stout or Pale-Red-Imperial Stout. The third follows Hefeweizen-Lemmon Hefeweizen-Orange Hefeweizen.

I've been using this metod for over a year.

Back