Advice with my latest brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
So I just racked BYO's fat bumpkin pumpkin ale to my secondary and I noticed the trub left over was thick sludge. I know this is in large part due to the pumpkin in the recipe. I didn't siphon much of it over, but I'm concerned about bottling sludge. The last time I tried a beer using fruit (cranberries) it came out of the bottles as sludge.

I intend to condition it the secondary for at least two or three weeks. But my question, I guess is this: should I filter the beer and repitch some dry yeast when I prime it for bottling, or just go with it, "relax, don't worry and have a homebrew?"

Thanks, as always.

BREW ON:mug:

I would not be worried about bottling sludge. If you avoided most of it when you racked, you should be able to avoid the remainder when you rack to the bottling bucket. Just don't get greedy and try to get that last pint.... let'er go, man!

I think you'll be fine.

One more thing... if you continue to get sediment falling out in the secondary, just let it sitin there for as long as it takes to stop.

You can't rush Mother Nature.

If you used a can of pumpkin and didn't use a hops bag for the pumpkin, I'd give it a month or more in secondary to settle.

Back