A message to the "Newbies"...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taco29wps

Reaction score
OK, I use the term "Newbie" loosely. I have been brewing for about a year and a half so I am in no way an expert, nor do I consider myself a newbie. I do have about 25 batches under my belt and I feel I can safely offer this...I see many new brewers do exactly like I did when I first started-ask lots of questions...should I? Did I mess up? Is it going to be OK???...Yes, yes and yes...lol Here is what I have to offer. I have made some kind of mistake (or 3) on EVERY single batch of beer I have made. You should know that, beer brewing as a hobby is incredibly forgiving. Have all my beers been great? Hell no, but they were mine and I am proud of every one of them. :D The point is, and I will borrow a line from Charlie Papazian-"relax, have a home brew!" :ban: He's right. For example, I just finished brewing up Williams Holiday Ale, literally, an hour ago. As I type, it sits in the primary in my refrigerator to bring the temp down so I can pitch the yeast (dangit!!!). I did everything right!!! Wrong. I haven't done an extract batch in a while and figured I didn't need my wort chiller. Yeah, dumb a@@, you don't need it. So, there it sits waiting to dump in the beautiful yeast starter I made. Is it screwed up? Nope. It will be amazing; like I said, beer is forgiving.

So I finish with this--try not to, but if you do, it's OK to make mistakes. What kind of mistakes have you made and still the beer turned out a crowd pleaser? I think it's good to talk about so the new guys can learn from our mistakes!

Taco :D

Well thats simple. I have made em all, at one time or another. Unsanitized utensils, dropped stuff in wort, boiled over, had blow offs, made bottle bombs, pretty much if it's stupid I have done it one time or another. Relax, brewing is very forgiving and is a great way to spend a day if you just relax and enjoy the moment.
Wheelchair Bob

Back