Barclay Perkins - 1928 - IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anchorandoak

Reaction score
So I was reading "Tap Into the Art and Science of Brewing" by Charles Bamforth and ran across a mention of the Brewer Barclay Perkins. I decided to do more research and stumbled upon this recipe for an IPA.

Though I typically do 3 gallon AG (I do not have the equipment necessary to do anything larger), I am looking for a good beer to fill a 5 gallon keg with, so I am going to do a 5 gallon extract batch,...just can't decide on a good one. So that's where this recipe comes in:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/11/lets-brew-wednesday-1928-barclay_18.html

Can any of you fellas help me convert this into a 5 gallon extract recipe? Or possibly point me in the direction of resources that can teach me to convert it myself? This IPA sounds interesting...

Also, it is worth noting that this recipe calls for a 90 minute mash in addition to a 120 minute boil. And what the heck is "Invert No 3"?

Any help would be awesome!!!!!

Nice, I've become a big fan of that blog.

Invert no 3 is a type of brewing sugar syrup (more here: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2009/06/refined-sugar-vs-invert-sugar.html). Invert sugars go from 1 to 4 in ascending order of darkness.

I'm not sure about an extract conversion since the recipe calls for flaked corn and I don't really know what would be a good substitute.

The basic formula is:

Grain x .8125 = amount of liquid malt extract
Grain x .6875 - amount of dry malt extract

Nice, I've become a big fan of that blog.

Invert no 3 is a type of brewing sugar syrup (more here: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2009/06/refined-sugar-vs-invert-sugar.html). Invert sugars go from 1 to 4 in ascending order of darkness.

I'm not sure about an extract conversion with the maize.

I have the ability to mash, and I would be able to mash the maize possibly and then add that to the boil maybe. Darn! I just can't fit 5 gallons in my pot. Hmmm....I am going to have to get creative with this one...

h,...just can't decide on a good one. So that's where this recipe comes in:

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/11/lets-brew-wednesday-1928-barclay_18.html

Can any of you fellas help me convert this into a 5 gallon extract recipe? Or possibly point me in the direction of resources that can teach me to convert it myself? This IPA sounds interesting...

Also, it is worth noting that this recipe calls for a 90 minute mash in addition to a 120 minute boil. And what the heck is "Invert No 3"?

Any help would be awesome!!!!!

I suspect Invert No 3 is a particular color of inverted sugar syrup. Think Lysle's. These "IPAs" are sort of an ordinary bitter with some extra hop presence and can be quite good.

This would be a pretty simple AG brew and as the recipe calls for flaked maize it would be the best way to try and reproduce it IMO. However, if you want to go extract here is a quick recipe which should get you close to those listed numbers.

4 lbs Light DME
.75 lbs British 55L crystal
1 lb sugar

1 oz Cluster @ 60-90 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 15 min
1 oz Goldings @ 5 min-knockout

London Ale yeast (Wyeast 1028 or White Lab 013) would be my suggestion although a dried English like 04 would be good too.
:mug:

I suspect Invert No 3 is a particular color of inverted sugar syrup. Think Lysle's. These "IPAs" are sort of an ordinary bitter with some extra hop presence and can be quite good.

This would be a pretty simple AG brew and as the recipe calls for flaked maize it would be the best way to try and reproduce it IMO. However, if you want to go extract here is a quick recipe which should get you close to those listed numbers.

4 lbs Light DME
.75 lbs British 55L crystal
1 lb sugar

1 oz Cluster @ 60-90 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 15 min
1 oz Goldings @ 5 min-knockout

London Ale yeast (Wyeast 1028 or White Lab 013) would be my suggestion although a dried English like 04 would be good too.
:mug:

So maybe I'd be able to use a Belgian Candi sugar as my invert sugar? If im not mistaken, all this basically does is increase the ABV%, correct? This sounds like a pretty basic extract recipe, I may try it...especially considering that I already have the fuggles and goldings hops.

So maybe I'd be able to use a Belgian Candi sugar as my invert sugar? If im not mistaken, all this basically does is increase the ABV%, correct? This sounds like a pretty basic extract recipe, I may try it...especially considering that I already have the fuggles and goldings hops.

If you have candi sugar on hand and want to use it would be a good sub but plain old table sugar would be perfectly fine. It's not an uncommon adjunct for these styles. :mug:

Have any of you guys made this? I made the 1890 Trumans Export Stout from that blog and it was excellent.

Back