Ginger beer please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I was just handed a brewing death blow. Turns out that I have chronic liver disease and can't drink alcohol any longer. So I am probably going to sell off all of my brewing equipment and transition to Ginger Beer and maybe Root Beer.

Has anyone on here experimented with flavoring their Ginger Beer? I am guessing that citrus is a no brainer. But how about berries? Should I try using concentrates?

I rarely do anything with as much bite as a ginger beer, but Schweppes has a raspberry ginger ale that tastes pretty good that I'd like to simulate some day.
Apple goes pretty well with ginger, too. Force carbonating 5 gallons of this is always pretty popular at our house, though it's kind of heavy on the sugar once you consider what's already in the apple juice, so I usually tone it down a bit for the larger batch size. I leave the chunks of ginger in the keg to get more of a ginger bite. Also adding a bottle of RW Knudsen Just Cranberry to the keg makes it perfect for this time of year.

So, I was just handed a brewing death blow. Turns out that I have chronic liver disease and can't drink alcohol any longer. So I am probably going to sell off all of my brewing equipment and transition to Ginger Beer and maybe Root Beer.

Has anyone on here experimented with flavoring their Ginger Beer? I am guessing that citrus is a no brainer. But how about berries? Should I try using concentrates?

Sorry to hear about your health issues. A soda brand called Cock'n'Bull makes a Cherry Ginger Beer that is DELICIOUS. It has a sweet cherry flavor up front, and then the fiery ginger bite comes in behind it. Like others said, Schweppe's does raspberry. I've seen cranberry around the holidays. I'll bet pineapple would be good, especially with some cinnamon added in.

Sorry to hear it. Would you consider liquorice root? If you've not tasted it, don't think of black liquorice (which I love, but it's not like that), think of sweet herbal floral earthiness. As a bonus, I believe it's supposed to be good for your liver, but I'd follow that up on your own - IANA doctor.

But I think those flavours totally go together.

Back