Secondary for Wheat Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I tried to find the answer to my question through searching but I failed. I normally use a secondary with all my beers because I like them to be clear, but I was reading that a secondary fermentation for wheat beers isn't desirable. What do you guys normally do for wheat beers? Should I just brew do it like I normally do and transfer it to secondary or is wheat beer better after just 2 weeks in primary and then bottling?

How can I be sure that I wont get a lot of sediment in my beer bottles then? I know a lot of people never use secondary's but Ive been using one for a while and have become accustomed to it.

You can use the 2ndary if you want to cut down on the amount of yeast. I usually have my beers around for a bit so I like to minimize the amount of yeast too.

If I was planning to drink most of it quickly I wouldn't bother. Heffe's aren't supposed to be clear and they are meant to be drank ASAP.

I just bottled my Oberdorfer Weissbier and I used the 2ndary. I bottled at after three weeks. Mine still has a good bit yeast in it since it doesn't clear (flocculate) quickly. ~ 1/8" in the bottom of the quart bottle. OK for me.

If you want the traditional cloudiness store your bottles on their sides or roll them gentle-like before poppin' open.

:mug:

bulleitb said:
How can I be sure that I wont get a lot of sediment in my beer bottles then? I know a lot of people never use secondary's but Ive been using one for a while and have become accustomed to it.
yes, but you want the yeast in your hefeweizens...or not.

i've made some clear hefes that turned out good with secondary and irish moss. it's just not necessary and usually the yeast is part of the flavor.

Back