Yeast nutrient/rehydration question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddball

Reaction score
I recently read on the mead faq sticky that you should only use go ferm during the rehydration and not yeast nutrient or energizer. I started my first batch last week and did just that (rehydrated with yeast energizer). Can anyone explain to me why this should not be done? My reasoning was that it is all going in together anyway and I didn't think/know that this should not be done. Did this potentially harm the yeast?

This is where I read it:
http://home.comcast.net/~mzapx1/FAQ/BasicMead.pdf

Thanks

GoFerm has no DAP in it. DAP is considered injurious to the yeast cells during rehydration and the early development stages.

Hence the idea being to use it to rehydrate the yeast, then pitch the mix into the must, then once the lag phase is finished and there's signs of active fermentation (bubbles) you then add whichever main nutrients are being used....

GoFerm has no DAP in it. DAP is considered injurious to the yeast cells during rehydration and the early development stages.

Hence the idea being to use it to rehydrate the yeast, then pitch the mix into the must, then once the lag phase is finished and there's signs of active fermentation (bubbles) you then add whichever main nutrients are being used....

Ok thanks, that makes sense. So there should not be any nutrients added until the fermentation starts? There are several recipes floating around that mention adding the nutrients prior to pitching. What you are saying is that this practice is incorrect and should be avoided?

Actually, in the FAQ sticky thread it states to add the nutrients and then pitch the rehydrated yeast as well. I am confused. Is it ok in this instance because it will be more diluted than it will be when rehydrating?

There's still a lot of info in recipes that say about adding nutrients etc to the must, then rehydrate the yeast and pitch.

Using a rehydration nutrient is a bit more up to date technique. Yes its a bit corporate but there is plausible evidence to suggest it works.

Don't forget, the terms nutrient and energiser are sometimes interchanged. If you used just one it would be energiser i.e. tan coured powder type like Fermaidk. Its cheaper to increase the nitrogen level with DAP than increasing the Fermaidk amount.

Hence its up to you how you want to proceed. .....

Back