Want To Get Back Into Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homeboy

Reaction score
Well it has been over 8 years sense I boiled my last wort and am working on getting a refresher course on the process. I was able to find several books and vids to download but need some help putting together a recipe.

Have been able to find all kinds of recipes calling for very specific types of branded ingredients but at this point I need to keep it simple. I am living in Thailand and to the best of my knowledge there is but 1 homebrew supply store in Bangkok. It may work out they have some popular brands of ingredients or kits but more than likely only generic or German brands will be available here.

With this in mind I will be heading down to Bangkok next week to see what I can get and would like to be able to get enough of the right stuff to do a simple amber ale.

I was getting some kits shipped to Saudi from a homebrew supply shop in Reno NV. The best I can remember there was 1 that had 4lbs dark DME, 2lbs Light DME and .5lbs crystal malt with 1.5oz cascade hops and .5oz fuggle hops. There was also an ale yeast used with this kit. I ended up with a nice amber ale.

When I was in Saudi weight of the ingredients was a major limiting factor to what I could brew. Now it is not so much the weight but availability of of what I can get.

So if anyone can reach back into their early days and come up with something similar to the above or have some input as to weather or not that recipe sounds feasible it sure would be a big help.

A simple amber can be, well, as simple as 5-6 lbs of light DME, .5 lb of crystal 60, and then depending at the hop AA%, say 2 ounces of Cascades.

-Disclaimer-
I'm just pulling this out of my ass though. Try punching in some numbers using the "Recipator"

Yes I seam to remember the first kits I got were real simple with just a few basic ingredients. Due to my location during that time frame (Saudi) and the only other alternative (recooked nonalcoholic beer) they produced the best beer available. Sure hope the supply shop in Bangkok has well stocked shelves so I can get back to where I was. Been doing some reading and the cobwebs are starting to clear.

I would recommend reading HowToBrew.com if you havent already. Even then, it is a great resource for advanced brewers.

Hay eddie I am an ale hind of guy like em dark and hoppy. But after 8 years of drinking Beer Chang (elephant beer) I need a homebuew. Last time I was in the states (Packers Broncos super bowl) I was in Reno and there was a micro beer there called sierra pale ale that I developed an instant fondness for.

Thanks for the link FishinDave there is a wealth of info there and should help knock the rust off. Just what I needed.

Back