Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fmXSaJS.jpg

Running the Maiden brew on it tonight. Almost 100% still need to install the pump switches and put my hot rod together. Sight gauges, thermometers, cam locks, and hot rod purchased from Bobby M. Great quality stuff!

This is exactly the type of setup I needed as well and your example is the first I've seen anywhere. Where were you when I planned mine? (would have eased the planning ...:p ).

I mean the exact same configuration: Mash tun on a pedestal with the HLT on the left and BK on the right, with pump for the water and gravity feed the wort through a plate chiller to the carboy.
I opted for a 2 piece configuration, where I have a shelf that goes through the pillar to supports the two burners. Easy to take apart and to setup. I'll post some pictures of the final thing once done, in the meantime, I figured I could at least post a picture of the pillar as it stands today (finished the first coat of Polyurethane yesterday).

2014-12-29 23.28.23.jpg

I'll post some pictures of the final thing once done, in the meantime, I figured I could at least post a picture of the pillar as it stands today (finished the first coat of Polyurethane yesterday).

Nice! Like the way the grain came out. Dark walnut stain, scrubbed? And then clear coat?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Dark walnut stain, scrubbed? And then clear coat?

I added one layer of stain made by Minwax (will check the can for what it is exactly but I think it's red oak) and once dried, I added 2 coats of polyurethane, sanding lightly with 220 between the coats.

While I complete the bride/shelf, this pillar is now inside the house being used by my two children as a climbing rig, pretend store and many other things. I call this quality control since if it hold up during this time, it will definitely work for brewing.

Here's my kal-inspired stand.... first coat of stain on, going to add a second coat and then a bunch of poly.

IMG_0048.jpg

This is exactly the type of setup I needed as well and your example is the first I've seen anywhere. Where were you when I planned mine? (would have eased the planning ...:p ).

I mean the exact same configuration: Mash tun on a pedestal with the HLT on the left and BK on the right, with pump for the water and gravity feed the wort through a plate chiller to the carboy.
I opted for a 2 piece configuration, where I have a shelf that goes through the pillar to supports the two burners. Easy to take apart and to setup. I'll post some pictures of the final thing once done, in the meantime, I figured I could at least post a picture of the pillar as it stands today (finished the first coat of Polyurethane yesterday).

Did you use the minwax helmsman polyurethane? Im staining mine today and am trying to figure out the best clear coat that will stand heat and liquid

I like spar urethane. It's very good with water and temperature.

I used Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane - Clear Semi-Gloss. Used the structure for the first time yesterday and I could not see and Ill effects. Plenty of spillage and it wiped right off, nor did I detect any odors due to heat. On the other hand, I don't use wood where the burners are, but the frame is and it's fairly close.

My rig as of last fall. I'm going to cover the top with stainless steel and polyurethane the rest. No need for the top tier any more as i'm going to use pumps for transferring from the hot water tun to the sparge tun to the boil kettle.

10524985_609775679119587_485507662_n.jpg

I used Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane - Clear Semi-Gloss. Used the structure for the first time yesterday and I could not see and Ill effects. Plenty of spillage and it wiped right off, nor did I detect any odors due to heat. On the other hand, I don't use wood where the burners are, but the frame is and it's fairly close.

Photos? I'm curious how close the wood is to the burners

What's in the green bin? What did you go with for kettles? The metal edging?

HI, the green bin is my IC pre chiller, the kettles are 12 gallon pots i picked up off a site here in NZ, similar to EBAY in the U.S, they are hefty pots. The edging is 1.6mm Aluminium.

BREWERY 7.jpg

Well, my efforts pale in comparison to @PissyFingers, but still will accomplish what I need it to!

Stand at Rest
brewstand.jpg

Stand in hypothetical Sparge Mode
brewstand-spargeMode.jpg

Hypothetical Boil Mode
brewstand-boil.jpg

Hypothetical Siphoning to fermenter
brewtsand-toFermenter.jpg

Well, my efforts pale in comparison to @PissyFingers, but still will accomplish what I need it to!

Stand at Rest
brewstand.jpg

Stand in hypothetical Sparge Mode
brewstand-spargeMode.jpg

Hypothetical Boil Mode
brewstand-boil.jpg

Hypothetical Siphoning to fermenter
brewtsand-toFermenter.jpg

Is that an industrial hot plate or something?

I use propane, but I'll have to look that thing up. Looks like a huge stir plate. Does it have a stir function by any chance?

I posted very early pics of my system but there have been many upgrades and changes so I posting the latest version. I just put the wooden sculptures together over the weekend. I'm a fan of modular so I can put things away as I'm done using them. Also, I had back surgery last September so maneuverability is a plus. Less lifting, more rolling. :) Anyway, pics are below with a description of features.

Here's a breakdown of the features by piece:
HLT - Tri-Clamp fittings throughout. It's a Sabco HLT. It has 1/2" fittings welded for use as a normal HLT but I can swap the stainless immersion chiller out of the BK and it doubles as a HERMS Coil. I don't currenlty use it in that way, but I could if I wanted to. :)

MLT - Tri-Clamp fitting throughout. I recently had the 1/2" fittings that were originally on the MLT & BK replaced with 3/4" fittings. I can get some SERIOUS movement of wort now during the mash and chilling. It is a direct-fired RIMS. The control panel is an Auber PID that turns the NG on and off. There is also a relay timer that turns the Hot Surface Ignition on waits 4 seconds before opening the solenoid to allow gas flow. There is also a vacuum gauge that ensures I'm not pulling a vacuum during recirculation. Before replacing the 1/2" TC w/ 3/4" it was difficult to get a good flow. Now though, I can have it full bore and there is no vacuum whatsoever.

BK - Tri-Clamp fittings throughout. Removable Tri-Clamp stainless immersion chiller. Sits on a hydraulic lift table that allows me to adjust the height during transfers to the fermenter.

PUMP - Tri-Clamp fittings throughout. Has a bleeder valve to release air and for samples if needed. Again, the modular method allows me to use only the one pump and move it around as needed.

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

I've made some changes to my system recently (Cleanable counter flow chiller, whirlpool arm, and a few others) but about 8-10 years ago I saw the "Tippy Dump) on the More Beer site and built my own version. The mash tun tips right into a garbage can / bag, wheels and all in one system make moving it around effortless. Its also natural gas with a 15 - 20 foot quick disconnect hose.

2013-12-28 08.26.17.jpg

Back