Battery Disposal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the proper way to dispose of small batteries (D,C, 9V, AA, & AAA). I know that sending them to the landfill is the wrong thing to do.

Cheers!!!
Chris

If you have them in your area, those shops in the mall that sell only batteries will often take them back for recycling.

According to our local landfill, just throw them in the trash. That's what I was told, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Rechargables, watch, hearing aid, etc., they do collect and will recycle these. I almost exclusively use rechargeables (since the mid 80's) so I don't have that many around. I too though would like to know of a place to recycle alkaline batteries

i can get you the info, we recycle batteries here at work... PM me if you are interested and I can hook you up with someone who may be able to get you the right info...

Click Here

Altho we're located in PA

What about fluorescent light bulbs? I've got a bunch I've been saving. I was thinking I would just take them to the dump when they have their hazardous wate drop off weekend.

pjj2ba said:
What about fluorescent light bulbs? I've got a bunch I've been saving. I was thinking I would just take them to the dump when they have their hazardous wate drop off weekend.

follow the link below, the company I work for owns this company,

Click Here

we're located in Kennett Square PA

i think you are supposed to stuff as many used battery's in a one gallon jug as you can. then you cap the jug,and toss it atop a bonfire. that's what the fine print said anyhoo....

I had no idea that flourescent lights could be or should be recycled or contained mercury. I have tossed a bunch of them into the dumpster years ago.

uglygoat said:
i think you are supposed to stuff as many used battery's in a one gallon jug as you can. then you cap the jug,and toss it atop a bonfire. that's what the fine print said anyhoo....

Nah, that's the OLD way to dispose of them... now they suggest that you throw them in the lake. A river or stream will suffice if there is no lake.

Back