What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kicking things off with Two Hearted

Haha, same here. I did finally brew the Habanero IPA on the 28th of March. If you're still interested I'll let you know when it gets bottled.

image.jpg

One pound will add pretty much nothing. I've brewed with strawberries before, but never done a strawberry blonde, but I was recently able to try Hello's, very good beer. It had a nice strawberry aroma and flavor without overpowering the whole beer. Perhaps she can share how many strawberries she used.

I added 3 lbs I think. Will look tomorrow. 5 days tops in secondary using Denny's favorite 50. Strawberries were sliced and frozen. I'll post more when I get up and see my notes tomorrow.

Haha, same here. I did finally brew the Habanero IPA on the 28th of March. If you're still interested I'll let you know when it gets bottled.

That would be awesome. I have some coffee/cacao/bourbon RIS at 12%abv in bottles and will have an all brett beer bottled soon, some CA Common Carbing in the keg, and some IPA fermenting.

I added 3 lbs I think. Will look tomorrow. 5 days tops in secondary using Denny's favorite 50. Strawberries were sliced and frozen. I'll post more when I get up and see my notes tomorrow.

I used 6 lbs whole frozen after flameout at 170F and they fermented through primary. I tried yours and it was obviously better. Mine was the extract version, which probably accounted for some of the difference, but I thought we used the same weight in strawberries? Research I did in advance had a number of people suggesting 8 lbs. Honestly, if I were to do it again, I think I would try 4 lbs. I do agree that one pound is not really going to even show up.

Currently on the American Wheat Citra Citrus HB...still tasty! (And overcarbed.)

DSC04552.jpg

Wow. More than 800 posts since I checked this last. That's what happens when I disappear for a week. Drinking a Saucony Creek Schnickelfritz Chocolate Cherry Imperial Stout. While still unpacking. Cramming our meager possessions from an 800 sq ft apt to a 600 sq ft apt is not fun. We were bursting at the seams already. And we could have gone a lot bigger, just didn't find out until it was way too late.

Had one of my strawberry blondes in the fridge, so I decided to drink it. It's growing on me. This batch was bottled on March 15, so it's better than when I first tasted it. At first, I wasn't getting any bittering hops, but they're starting to come through now. One thing that I have learned though, is that fermented strawberries do NOT taste like fresh strawberries. To me, it's taking time to acquire the taste for it; but I didn't want to use artificial flavoring...which tastes too much like candy, to me.

StrawblondHB.jpg

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti bomber and Espresso Oak Aged Yeti bomber and now I am drunk.
Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I enjoy them both. Been told that blending the two is amazing.

O'Fallon 10 Day IIPA. Lots of sediment, but it tastes alright.

Coffee is getting drank by me. The work week is almost half done. Luckily I stopped drinking last night before I could give myself a headache for this morning.

coffee...

did a lil researching on kegging this morning. From what i understand i dont need multiple regulators for multiple kegs. I think my plan will be to convert my smaller chest freezer to a keezer and use my bigger one for the fermentation chamber. I was thinking i could use one tank, one regulator, and a manifold. Im not to worried about force carbing beers quickly. I only have one keg so i was thinking of running the tank to the manifold and only having one outlet from the manifold on and with line... As i get more kegs i was going to just add lines to the outlets of the manifold. I guess my real question is when i have one keg at serving pressure and want to force carb another one do i need to turn off the one at serving pressure and turn on the one i want to carb and up the psi to 30? or can i just leave them both on- the one already carbed and the one i want force carbed - and leave at serving pressure, 12 psi or so and let it carb up that way? would it take to long? or not carb at all?

Rant over- a lil reading material for your morning

coffee...

did a lil researching on kegging this morning. From what i understand i dont need multiple regulators for multiple kegs. I think my plan will be to convert my smaller chest freezer to a keezer and use my bigger one for the fermentation chamber. I was thinking i could use one tank, one regulator, and a manifold. Im not to worried about force carbing beers quickly. I only have one keg so i was thinking of running the tank to the manifold and only having one outlet from the manifold on and with line... As i get more kegs i was going to just add lines to the outlets of the manifold. I guess my real question is when i have one keg at serving pressure and want to force carb another one do i need to turn off the one at serving pressure and turn on the one i want to carb and up the psi to 30? or can i just leave them both on- the one already carbed and the one i want force carbed - and leave at serving pressure, 12 psi or so and let it carb up that way? would it take to long? or not carb at all?

Sounds like a solid plan.

Yes you can force carb at your serving pressure - just takes longer.

If you're starting w one keg only, I wouldn't even mess w a manifold at this time; I'd just run a gas line from your reg to your keg. Keep it simple.

When it's time to add a 2nd keg, you can spend $2 on a T to split your gas line to the two kegs.

When you add your third, that's when I'd pick up a manifold.

Sorry so wordy. I know some people hate that (Wes I'm looking at you).

coffee...

You dont have to have multiple regulators. Only if you want beers carbed to a different level. When I force carb I turn the others off and the one i'm force carbing to 30-40psi for 2-3 days then drop the pressure to serving. You can just hook it up at serving to carb but it'll take 2 weeks or so to become fully carbed. Lately to save CO2 I'm "bottling" conditioning in the keg and relieving it before hooking it up. It is not as complicated as you think. Just jump on in.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Yes you can force carb at your serving pressure - just takes longer.

If you're starting w one keg only, I wouldn't even mess w a manifold at this time; I'd just run a gas line from your reg to your keg. Keep it simple.

When it's time to add a 2nd keg, you can spend $2 on a T to split your gas line to the two kegs.

When you add your third, that's when I'd pick up a manifold.

Sorry so wordy. I know some people hate that (Wes I'm looking at you).

You dont have to have multiple regulators. Only if you want beers carbed to a different level. When I force carb I turn the others off and the one i'm force carbing to 30-40psi for 2-3 days then drop the pressure to serving. You can just hook it up at serving to carb but it'll take 2 weeks or so to become fully carbed. Lately to save CO2 I'm "bottling" conditioning in the keg and relieving it before hooking it up. It is not as complicated as you think. Just jump on in.

thanks for the info.

i have my dad talking to a local guy to see if he can get me a tank. Im looking to get a micromatic premium regulator and some line and then seeing how i do.

Staying on topic- coff

Coffee, because I'm tired and the three mile commute home seems long

The 23-mile, 1 hour and 12 minute drive to work sucked this morning. Took 1 hr and 6 minutes on Monday; 1 hr and 5 minutes yesterday. People think I joke when I say I wish I lived in Iowa.

More Coff.

The 23-mile, 1 hour and 12 minute drive to work sucked this morning. Took 1 hr and 6 minutes on Monday; 1 hr and 5 minutes yesterday. People think I joke when I say I wish I lived in Iowa.

More Coff.

Haha with Vegas morning traffic, the 3 miles is usually 15-20 minutes. I walk some days

More Coff.

You can't be on the Merritt Parkway. Speed minimum is 75.

Although...2 lanes with no shoulder... 1 broken down car or an accident and you ain't going anywhere for a few hours!

You can't be on the Merritt Parkway. Speed minimum is 75.

Although...2 lanes with no shoulder... 1 broken down car or an accident and you ain't going anywhere for a few hours!

I work off of the Merritt. No accidents - it's just a **** ton of traffic heading down to Norwalk/Stamford/NYC. /ramble

Its employee appreciation day- Work got us pizza. Crappy square pizza with sweet sauce. I hate NEPA valley pizza for the most part- to me pizza should be round and the sauce not sweet. NYC style and im happy

eh whatever.... water

Finally roasted some coffee last night, Brazilian Bourbon. I roasted on the stove in a pot instead of my popcorn popper to roast more at once and there was some scorching. Having some now and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Still better than Starbucks

Its employee appreciation day- Work got us pizza. Crappy square pizza with sweet sauce. I hate NEPA valley pizza for the most part- to me pizza should be round and the sauce not sweet. NYC style and im happy

eh whatever.... water

Really? No one has said **** to me about Employee anything. :( I had to buy this crap.

Having two cups of water, a tuna salad sandwich and about 1.5 lbs. of other food (beef, asparagiiiiiii and squash). Post-workout beast meal. Come get some.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398272513.158046.jpg

Been bad at labeling lately. Had to sample three bottles to verify their contents.

I'm sharing some cyser with a friend. Had to make sure it wasn't IIPA or banana melomel. He doesn't like beer and is allergic to bananas.

First one I opened was overcarbed IIPA and it exploded in my face. Drinking it now.

Second one I opened was cyser. Also drinking it now.

Third one was banana melomel. Confirmed with a small sample.

I'm thinking of doing one this summer. I have a solid blonde recipe, how do I best add the strawberry? I was thinking of dropping a pound of frozen berries, in a muslin bag, into the secondary for two weeks. Good plan?

If you have your blonde recipe that you like then I'll just say I used 42 ounces of sliced strawberries (frozen) let them thaw a while and 2 lbs whole, also let them thaw.

5 days, max. I just tossed into the bucket and had no problems racking to bottle. I would not let them sit any longer as they get winey and musty. I used Denny's Favorite 50 for this recipe.

I'm drinking water.
No hot water...need a new water heater but I found a way to jimmy rig it where I may get luke warm showers for the next 2 weeks. 2 weeks is the estimated time to get things in order to replace.

Latest posts

Back