SWMBO says no to kegerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the go ahead to do the keezer when I told my wife I'd put in a ginger ale tap, and do some woodwork around the keezer to "class it up" a bit.

This is exactly what I did except with Pepsi. :mug:

Well the main reason first of all is money. We do a great job at saving but the bills pretty well even out what we make. We are not poor by any means but every little bit of extra helps. She likes beer and wine OCCASIONALLY. So she is not a big drinker... needless to say, I am. The second reason is drilling holes in the d@mn thing. Oh well, it's probably not worth the argument to pursue it, so I will use picnic taps for now and in a month or two I will casually bring it back up.

Sell the extra fridge and pickup a chest freezer to convert into a keezer (or trade your fridge for an old freezer). Then use a collar, so you don't have to drill through the actual unit.

Threads like this make me love my wife even more... She fully supports my brewing addiction.

Though the keggorator is outside... Working on that one (it's a space issue).

Thisis a long shot but I just thought of it. We have a Lowes here in town and when someone gets a new fridge they put the old ones in back. I think that they are frre to take since they just get trashed anyway. What if I got a door that would fit on the fridge I have then I would be drilling into an extra DOOR! Eh Eh? What do you think?

Thisis a long shot but I just thought of it. We have a Lowes here in town and when someone gets a new fridge they put the old ones in back. I think that they are frre to take since they just get trashed anyway. What if I got a door that would fit on the fridge I have then I would be drilling into an extra DOOR! Eh Eh? What do you think?

I'm sure we'll all say "Go for it!" or "Screw what your wife says, do what you want!" (said mostly by those that are unmarried, I assume ;) ).

This option you've described is really a question for your wife, not us.

But if you can't find one for your fridge behind a big box store, try scrap yards too.

Well the main reason first of all is money. We do a great job at saving but the bills pretty well even out what we make. We are not poor by any means but every little bit of extra helps. She likes beer and wine OCCASIONALLY. So she is not a big drinker... needless to say, I am. The second reason is drilling holes in the d@mn thing. Oh well, it's probably not worth the argument to pursue it, so I will use picnic taps for now and in a month or two I will casually bring it back up.

Is the issue with the drilling that you're "ruining a perfectly good fridge?"

If so, just get a chest freezer off craigslist. Theres almost always one free on there. Then you're not "ruining" something you spent good money on.

SWMBO bought me the second kegerator.:rockin: I think I'll keep her.

If you keep your eyes open something will pop up . I just picked up a Kitchen aid wine cooler from a neighbor he said it didn't work. I took the thermostat out jumped the wires and it was cold in 15 minutes . Either I buy a new thermostat or just hook up the extra Johnson controller that I have . What I am going to do with it I have no idea .

Whats wrong with just having picnic taps? It is cheaper and better than nothing. What I get from the information you have provided is not that she's said no to a kegerator, she's just said no to mounting taps on the door.

Yes that is correct. I cannot mount the taps on the door for now. But I think that if I bother her long enough she will break. I tried telling her "Everyone on HBT has one!" But that didn't even phase her. I'm just gonna stick with the picnic taps for now.

My ex was very supportive of my hobby (just about the only thing I miss about her ;)) and she always loved the idea of me building a kegerator, but only if it looked real nice. What I mean is that it would have to be paneled on the outside with wood that matches the cabinets, a granite top on it to match the counters, and a nice tower with hardware that matches the cabinet hardware.

Maybe if you approach it with this in mind, she'll be more inclined to let you do this. Instead of "ruining a fridge," you'll be re-purposing an unused appliance to boost the value of the kitchen. That is unless money is a huge concern, because this project ain't cheap, especially if you have to hire cabinet makers to assist you.

Ok so my wife says no to turning my extra fridge into a kegerator. Do I have any other options?! I have a mini fridge but its way too mini.

Have you tried slapping her?

Oh c'mon... I keeeed. I keeeeed (no really, give her a shot in the chops) OH it's a joke!!

Pfft... hit the galleries of a bunch of people here on HBT that have full bars and make a big collage of a bunch of pictures and then show her and say, "See what the OTHER SWMBO's let THEIR husbands have?!? They're really COOL SWMBO's... not like how YOU'RE being right now"

(feel free to use my gallery among a bunch of others)

Yes that is correct. I cannot mount the taps on the door for now. But I think that if I bother her long enough she will break. I tried telling her "Everyone on HBT has one!" But that didn't even phase her. I'm just gonna stick with the picnic taps for now.

Explain that every time you open the door to fill another pint, you are wasting energy that would not be wasted if the tap was through the door. So really, it is a money saving thing...kinda, sorta.

1. Go out & buy a fast growing vine type plant.
2. Place plant on top of extra fridge.
3. Sit back & wait for plant to grow 1/2 way down side of fridge.
3a. save $$ for faucets/shanks
4. Drill holes in side of fridge (watch for lines), mount faucets & hide with plant.

Telling SWMBO optional.

In y case its the fact that if our upstairs fridge goes this will replace it not to mention I have already taken over the whole basement with my wine making and woodworking. I have a wine and beer making room, a wine cellar with over 1000 bottles, a wood working shop complete with shaper, planer, table saw slide saw and all the amenities so taking over the fridge is really asking too much. Im fine with how it is and there really is no room for a keezer.

In y case its the fact that if our upstairs fridge goes this will replace it not to mention I have already taken over the whole basement with my wine making and woodworking. I have a wine and beer making room, a wine cellar with over 1000 bottles, a wood working shop complete with shaper, planer, table saw slide saw and all the amenities so taking over the fridge is really asking too much. Im fine with how it is and there really is no room for a keezer.

So why not make sure the upstairs fridge "fails," move the basement one upstairs, and then get a craigslist chest freezer to fill that awkward space left where the basement fridge used to be?

Here's what you do:

1) go with the picnics for now--take what you can get.
2) the next time you buy her something nice--I mean REALLY nice--like a really nice ring or diamond earrings or something, tell her then that you want to put another $100 or so into adding the taps. What's she going to say, no? You shouldn't spend the extra $100, but I'll still take the jewelry?"

Eye of the tiger, man. You're money, baby, money, and you don't even know it...!!!

tell her it will be much more energy efficient to mount taps in the door, because every time you open it to pull a pint or two from the picnic taps. you will lose the cold air in the fridge, which will cause it to run much more than with the taps mounted.

Drill anyway, that will probably turn her on that you took charge. Scene control establish it ASAP.

Guess I am a lucky man. Found one on CL Thursday. Mentioned it to the wife, she said "Let's go get it!" And that we did!:mug:

If the issue is money, start saving your pennies and you will eventually have enough.

If the issue is that "they are ugly", look at all the examples here of classy looking kegerators or buy one from beveragefactory.com or another site like it.

If she doesn't think it is important, start brewing at least every other week. Time your bottling so that you only do it when she is home. If you brew every other week, after three months you will have three hundred bottles in the house ("where are we going to put all of this?") and she will see how much of a pain it is to bottle. This is what worked for me

Good luck.

Eric

Hmmm you're in a tough spot. I'd guess you've been married 4-8 yrs? Us old seasoned fella's that have been married 20+ yrs just buy it and they live with it. Your dance is more delicate, I've been there. The only solution is the compromise. You save you money over a few months and come home with a little fridge, maybe bar fridge or an apartment size. Then start collecting the hardware. Throw a little her way so she feels she's getting something. Around 10 years she'll want a diamond ring or some other useless bit of fluff, but you indulge her. You play the game and by your 20th you'll be able to walk in with a brand new 3/4 ton diesel with an ATV in the back without ever a prior discussion and she'll be excited for you.

So whats the deal? does she not trust you to drill anything much less a fridge, thats kinda what it sounds like? are you handy? have you shown the abilty to build and repair stuff with out going to the ER? do you own a torque wrench?

if its the holes I dont see the big deal you can close them back up. just fill the holes with "geat stuff" expanding foam, trim off extra , sand smooth and then cover with an "I wear the paints around here...till my wife gets home" bumper sticker.

Thank God I don't have to call my wife a "SWMBO". We both "allow" each other to just be ourselves. Unless I showed up at home with prostitutes and cocaine, she wouldn't stop me from doing ANYTHING.

Back