Can this be recovered?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plbrown44

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I just had a blow off. Brewed a Bells Oberon tweak last night and pitched the yeast about 9:00 pm. Used Wyeast 1010 smack pack.

Just came down to the basement and found this mess.

Is my beer ruined? I'm hoping it can be salvaged. I haven't had a chance (due to cleaning) to get online and research solutions so I'm posting this from my phone.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pete

image-1852254415.jpg

Dont worry about it. Just clean it up neatly. Get a rag and a bowl of water with sanitizer and clean up the bucket.

This happened to me back in march, and yes the beer turned out fine -
2011-05-01_11-16-47_36.jpg

It happens all the time....It means you have active fermentation...Just to clean the mess, resantiize the lid and put on a blowoff tube.

we've all had complete bucket blowoffs, where the lid flies off, and our beers survive. Your beer is protected by a layer of co2.

Watch these videos of one of my beers...that came out fine. Next time clean up your mess and rig up a blowoff tube.

The beer turned out fine.

I've had 2 complete bucket blowoffs and both ended up fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be fine, I've had a few like that one. Just sanitize that lid next to it and replace the one covered in yeast.

@Hoosier

Lol. turned out fine. you wouldnt even know anything happened if it wasnt pointed out.

i guess if the cleaner gets out dog pi$$, it can certainly get out krausen stain. :)

Thanks to all of you who responded. Good thing I didn't just lose it and dump everything...

For the blow off tube I'm just using my bottling tube stuck into the inner airlock tube. The other end is in some sanitized water.

Will this work?

image-2263713541.jpg

Thanks to all of you who responded. Good thing I didn't just lose it and dump everything...

For the blow off tube I'm just using my bottling tube stuck into the inner airlock tube. The other end is in some sanitized water.

Will this work?

sounds perfect

I just run my tube into the airlock hole on the lid. It's a little difficult to get it in, but it's a bigger opening than the little holes on the bottom of the airlock, so it's less likely to get clogged.

Right on. Mess is clean, lid is back on, and the blow off tube is functioning as you all have indicated.

Now I'm having a homebrew and am going to sit for a little while.

Cheers guys, thanks for the help.

PB

Back