What to do with 5 gallons of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezak1gd

Reaction score
I help at my local Micro, and we were bottling today. We have an overflow bucket that fills up about twice (5 gallons) during the bottling run. Normally we throw it in a 1/6th bbl and take it to party or home or whatever. We ran out of clean kegs today, so the point of this story is I took home a bucket with 5 gallons of 8% amber ale.

So, I need suggestions. I was thinking about putting some in 2 liters to drink, and maybe make a sauce of some type with it. Anyone have a good sauce or marinade recipe?

What would you do with 5 gallons of free beer?

I plan on drinking what I can, but its 5 gallons of 8% beer! Im trying to get a few friends over to help. I considered bottling but I dont know if its worth the trouble considering the beer has been sitting out for a couple hours and is likely pretty oxygenated. Maybe I still should do it, not sure if I have enough bottles.

Its Mt. Pleasant Brewing Company, right in the middle of Michigan.

I was thinking maybe boil it down, and rehydrate some chili peppers I grew last summer in the boiled down beer. Like a beer based hot sauce. Maybe add some vinegar or something?

Homer where is Reed City? Have you been to MPBC? Its their trainwreck ale, pretty tasty, but it will mess you up.

You can always dillute it with more water to make a weaker summer drinking beer and have more of it.

I'll try to find the recipe tonight, but it's basically just sharp cheddar and cream cheese melted in a double boiler, add a little black pepper, cayenne and, of course, beer. It's great warm, but even better once it sits in the fridge and thickens up and the flavors meld together. Enjoy it with chips, crackers or fingers!

homer bucket full of beer in the passenger seat, eh? how does that fit in to the open container laws? :)

Here's that recipe. It's not mine, I thought I got it off of HBT, but couldn't seem to find it, but I suck ats teh search! :)

Note: None of the comments are mine. When I make it I do use the bagged cheese and go with only 1/2 Tbsp of red pepper. It's still spicy, but not insanely so. I also add just a dash, maybe 1/4 tsp of salt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 lbs sharp cheddar cheese, grated (the bags of cheese work just fine)
16 oz cream cheese
12 oz of your darkest homebrew
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
1/2 Tbsp crushed red pepper (i use 1.5 Tbsp)
1 1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 Tbsp ground black pepper

Throw the sharp cheddar and cream cheese in a crockpot until they melt.
Stir often (wooden spoon is where its at) to avoid burns.

Once melted, add the rest of the ingredients, stir, serve warm or
refrigerate for eating later.

I purchased 3 x 12 breadstick from pillsburry (in the can, by the
biscuits) and had 15-16 friends over: we cleared the sticks and put a
hurt on some chips thanks to the cheese.

Latest posts

Back