Rose Hips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oach

Reaction score
If I wanted to add some rose hips to a brew, do I do it in the boil or secondary? How much would I also add to a 5g batch in either case?

Cheers,
Scot

Please let me know how this works out. I have a daughter named Somerset Rose and I would love to use roses in a pale ale named for her

From what I've read rosehips are usually added 5-10 minutes before the end of boil, and add some red color, a touch of sweetness, and a bit of a citrus aroma.

If you're going for a rose flavor try playing with rose petals or rose water instead. Rose hips don't really taste like roses.

Source:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Herbs

I just saw something on Northern Brewer called the "petal pusher". Comes with lavendar, coriander and rose hips. They say to add all for the last 10min of the boil. Im thinking about brewing a wheat extract batch with these flavors, and some yeast cultivated from some hoegaarden bottles.

Back