Q: About Pliny extract with pellets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
[newb question on]

This is the Pliny Recipe i have to use for an extract brew. What would the difference be if i used pellets vs whole hops? Its easier for me to get pellets and i was wondering if it would take away from the taste.

Does 1 oz of whole hops = 1 oz of pellets? :drunk:

Thanks!!!

[newb question off]

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6.30 lbs. Dry Malt Extract
1.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
0.25 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
0.75 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
0.75 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 40.1 MH
2.75 oz. Warrior Pellet 15.40 146.4 90 min.
0.50 oz. Chinook Whole 13.00 20.4 90 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 37.8 45 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 33.9 30 min.
2.25 oz. Centennial Whole 10.50 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Simcoe Whole 14.00 0.0 0 min.

IIRC, the pellet hops are slightly more efficient than the whole hops so if you replaced them 1-to-1, you'll be fine

I'm not sure how you'd replace the mash hops, but you could just leave them out I guess.

I'm not real thrilled with the looks of that recipe. I'd try looking at the one here on the site, because I think that beer should have less bittering hops and way more late addition hops.

Edit- never mind! It looks like you just left off the dryhops, which must have been inadvertent. If you're using all the dryhops, it'll be good!

Ya i left off the dry hops. I am planning on dry hopping it, just didnt copy it in. oops.
I was planning on skipping the Mash hop and adding the chinook in at 90 min.

Would it be wise of me to just order the whole hops online? Or fight with the pellets clogging my bags and filter?

I did my Pliny clone with pellets and followed the recipe in Zymurgy. That recipe calls for leaf hops but I just used the same amount of pellets and it turned out great. Pellets are usually more efficient than whole leafs and you are "supposed" to use less hops if you're using pellets, but I'm a badass so I didn't.

From my experince, you might want to add an extra 1-1.5lbs of DME. My target OG with the Zymurgy recipe was 1.072 and I ended up with 1.062. The beer turned out great anyway, but next time I will definitely be adding a bit more DME.

I did my Pliny clone with pellets and followed the recipe in Zymurgy. That recipe calls for leaf hops but I just used the same amount of pellets and it turned out great. Pellets are usually more efficient than whole leafs and you are "supposed" to use less hops if you're using pellets, but I'm a badass so I didn't.

From my experince, you might want to add an extra 1-1.5lbs of DME. My target OG with the Zymurgy recipe was 1.072 and I ended up with 1.062. The beer turned out great anyway, but next time I will definitely be adding a bit more DME.

Thanks! Its always great to get tips from the experenced!
How did you keep the pellets from clogging up all your filters and bags?

Back