sometimes I get in fights with my equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oms1981

Scum
Reaction score
I was bottling tonight and I broke a racking cane. I seem to have a very difficult time getting along with racking canes. In fact, this is the 3rd one I have broken. They always get stuck in the tubing and I can't get them out for the life of me. I pull, I twist, but they don't budge. Then I pull harder and they expire. Does anyone have any good tips for getting the tubing off the racking cane, or the bottle filler for that matter? Bottling went great otherwise. The beer smells amazing, I'm excited.

Warm water. Either run it under the faucet or heat up some water in a cup in the microwave and warm that tubing up.

Edit: By warm, I mean hot. (Not too hot, or you'll melt it)

either boil up a little water or hold the tube under hot water, it will soften and eventually come off. Or you could rub some mineral spirits on the racking cane neck before putting your tubing on, thus, making it easier to remove. :rockin:

Ease it off, don't pull like a mad man. Racking canes are your friends. I give mine a little nudge with my thumb nail, then move to the other side and give it a nudge on that side and off it comes. If I can do it, you can too. :D

Yea the little bastards can create quite a seal for themselves. I usually just pull on it slightly with a fingernail and work my way around to break its seal and then wiggle it off. Failing that I run it under hot water to soften up the plastic. Luckily there are a few DIY projects you can use a broken racking cane for.

Back