SG of Vintners Harvest blackberry wine base?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cugel

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just making an order to NB and want to get some Vintners Harvest blackberry wine base. Does anyone know how many cans I would need to get a decent body on a mead? This is inspired by SummerSolstice's After Midnight Blackbrry Port-style wine.

Info from the web:
"One 96 oz. can makes a fuller flavor and bodied 3 gallon batch or a lighter 5 gallon batch of wine".

"Supplied with three gallon (full body) and five gallon (medium body) recipes."

I plan on adding 6-10 lbs of honey, 2 lbs raisins, and water to 5.25 gallons, aiming for a SG of ~ 1.1 or ~13.45% ABV.

Plus have a decent blackberry flavor.

Thanks!!!! :mug:

PS Yes - I'm turning into a mead fiend, I know. Heeeellllpppppp.... :)

Given that the can is 6# of blackberries and blackberries are a pretty flavorful fruit I would say you should have a nice melomel with 1 can. This would allow the honey to be noticeable. If you use 2 cans you could get to a similar gravity with less honey, the mead would have a very strong fruit flavor that may hide the honey. Either would work depends on your goal.

Craig

Thanks Craig.

I couldn't figure out how to convert from 96 ounces to lbs of fruit. One (1) can it is!

Thanks again.

Actually you may want to check my answer. If the can is 96 fl oz then it will be somewhat more than 6#. I made the assumption that it was just oz. Either way I would use 1 can but 2 can's would not be wrong.

Craig

Hey everyone,

Plus have a decent blackberry flavor.

Thanks!!!! :mug:

PS Yes - I'm turning into a mead fiend, I know. Heeeellllpppppp.... :)

1 can should provide a decent, but somewhat light flavored and colored, blackberry melomel. Two cans would be better but you might instead want to consider adding another 6 pounds of frozen blackberries in a straining bag along with the raisins. Blackberries make excelllent wines and melomels.

Back