Crisp Brown Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBrew79

Reaction score
I am planning to make a northern English brown ale soon. I have about 5 pounds of Crisp brown malt that I got for free. I'd like to use some of this brown malt in my brown ale. Does anyone have an idea what proportion of brown malt can be used in a recipe, and what flavors it might contribute to the beer?

Found a bit googlin' around:
I had a Porter that a friend brewed that was supposed to be a historical version of an 1800's style porter. His recipe was 1/2 pale malt 1/2 brown malt. I tasted it and thought he had used some chocolate malt, but it wasn't as bitter. It was a really nice brew. Smooth roasty chocolatey goodness, yum.
At one time, I suppose this would have been the default malt for making a roasty stout (or stout-porter, or porter, or whatever it was called in that era).

I have used brown malt as part of a recipe inspired by Radical Brewing. It used something like 4#s of brown malt in a 5 gallon batch to supply roastiness. If you are using flaked barley in your dry stout (which is common), don't look to the brown malt to help you convert.

Just off the top of my head, I would guess that you might start with something like 20% flaked barley, 40% brown malt, 40% pale. Try something. You might need to tweak it to get the right texture and roastiness.
Crisp Brown Malt. 60-70° L. Made from green malt. Imparts a dark roasted flavor and bitterness to beer. Works great in older styles of English ales such as brown ales and mild stouts and porters.

I would say it will contribute a milder version of a roasty/nutty flavor (like a paler pale chocolate malt) and that you should be fine using anywhere from 10%-40%.

I do know that Jamil Z's Brown Porter recipe uses brown malt. Very good information on the Brewing Styles podcast.

I've gotta stop listening to that show. I end up salivating for odd, one off specialty grains and adding to the "I gotta do this one next!" list.

I used 6 oz in my first porter, 4 oz in my Fuller's London Porter clone.

Super stuff! I also used 6oz in a Rye-PA, with 2-row, 40L crystal and rye malt. Yummy! It seems to be a nice mild nutty flavor.

The amount to use would depend on other grains you are using...

Back