grape skins in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frydogbrews

Reaction score
ok, so i have a foch plant growing on a trellis on my backyard. this is it's second year and it has made some grapes for me. not very many, maybe 10 clusters, and the grapes are very small. i figured i would crush these and add the juice into a mead that i already have in a secondary. there won't be much juice, probably just enough to change the color.
question is. do i just add the juice, or do i put the crushed grapes, skins and all, in there for a week also; then rack off the skins?
i know the grape skins can add a lot of tannins, but i don't have that many. i figure i would get more color if i added the skins, but i don't want to mess the mead up too much. this batch would get to age for at least a year.

I think keeping it on the skins to take more color and flavor sounds like a pretty good plan. What kind of a mead is it that you are going to use to make this pyment?

it'll be a dry show mead, standard 15lbs to 5 gals with K1-v1116. i really don't go for sweet drinks at all. not sure if this will actually qualify for a pyment or not since there would only be a cup (maybe 2) of foch juice.

You can always use the same amount of juice in a smaller batch of mead it you want more of the grape character. As for the term "pyment", there is no strict requirement on amounts, and you are adding grapes, but the decision on what to call it is yours to make.

And just to be technical, the term "show mead" means that no nutrients or flavors are added. They are kind of challenging to get done. If you are using nutrients, the term "traditional mead" would be appropriate for a mead made with just honey.

turns out it's all a moot point now. i went to check my grapes this morning since i was going to pick them and crush them tomorrow, and some critter ate every last one of them sometime last night!!!

Back