Dead yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seigex

Reaction score
Ok a quick question here. I'm away from home at my parents in a podunk area of Arizona. I was teaching my dad how to brew using a brew kit he had. We went and picked up some fresh LME and Hops to replace the old (10+ years?) of Hopped LME that came with the Kit.

The question is.. its 6pm and the LHBS 30 miles away is closed... and i realized the yeast packet is also 10+ years old. I figured i'd try and rehydrate it but when i dumped it in some cooled wort i found out it was moldy.

Am I going to have to dump my brewing pot thats sitting on the stove right now or is there an equivalent I can pick up from vons/safeway just to get through this brew.

Keep in mind my dad doesn't have the best beer palet .. he's just looking for trying it out and usually drinks Coors or other American Pilsners (bleh).

Or maybe can I hold the wort in the fridge or something else until I can pick up more yeast tomorrow?

If you cool the wort tonight, and keep it in the fridge, it'll be fine until you can get some fresh yeast tomorrow.

thanks thats what i figured.. i just get paranoid about oxidation when i put wort into a fermenter without any fermentation.

Back