A question about hop utilization...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pentiumone133

Reaction score
Hey all.

I brewed my second extract kit today (NB chocolate milk stout) and just like my first batch, the wort tasted extremely hoppy. Now I know that it is unfermented and alot changes during fermentation, but consider this:

The Extract batch that I brewed about 4 weeks ago has fermented beautifully and I racked to secondary. I'm getting ready to bottle it in the next few days so I helped myself to a sample today. It tastes great, but it seems very hoppy (this kit is a nut brown ale from brewers best.)

Both of the kits Ive made call for a 2.5 gallon boil, then instruct you to top up to 5 gal in teh carboy. I have not been doing this because I have the capacity to boild all 5.5 gallons up front. There is a small comment on the instructions for my first kit mentioning that the kit's hop utilization is calibrated for a 2.5 gallon boil.

My question is this: am I making my beer hoppier by boiling the full 5 gallon volume as opposed to the 2.5 that the kit suggests?

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the new addiction.
Will

you'd be making more bitter beer since larger volume allows for higher utilization. the hoppiness shouldn't be affected tho

Ive always went with the rule of "steep small and boil big ". Also late extraction seems to help out my beer. Not sure if this hekps you though.

Latest posts

Back