What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last of my 3/4 dubbel.

image-2125633421.jpg

Finishing up the boil on an autumn saison. Heritage base (my local Vienna-ish 6 row), flaked barley, cmIII, de bittered black, & turbinado. Bittered with some brewer's gold I need I use up and some late additions of crystal.

Found a crack in the pinch on my IC. I'd been worried about it for a while. Can't believe it didn't ruin my last batch and that I spotted it before this one. 25' prechiller to the rescue!

I am currently drinking GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Platinum Edition. (Well, that's mostly what it's called. I'm sure I'm missing a few adjectives.) Hulk smash!

Another sample from my bíere de Noel.

image-1333801265.jpg

Seems to have worked through second sugar addition and is around 11.8 now and at 1.032. I think the wlp072 will drop it a few more points. Might be getting a 10 gallon apple brandy barrel. If so, I think I'll have to rebrew this and put in the barrel with Brett anamola and some more lacto for a while. Can't believe I made a a beer that's pushing 12% in under two weeks that is smooth and tasty at 74 degrees straight from the fermenter. :mug:

I have these coming this week, hopefully, in my Beer of the Month Club my wife got me a subscription to:

Matt Brewing Company - Saranac Harvest Ale (NY)
Tuckerman Brewing Company - Pale Ale (NH)
Brouwerij Timmermans - Bourgogne des Flandres Brune (Belgium)
McAuslan Brewing - St-Ambroise Pumpkin (Canada)

Plus, I've got my first homebrew bottle conditioning. Been going for a week now, so I'll probably have a test bottle next week.

image-2436739309.jpg

TNGabe's peach Berliner. Wow, this is a sour mofo! I had to cut it with a little grape juice, very nice beer. I need to do a sour mash now.

allenH said:
TNGabe's peach Berliner. Wow, this is a sour mofo! I had to cut it with a little grape juice, very nice beer. I need to do a sour mash now.

You get acetic? I'm thinking it's malic acid from the peaches and not having lacto after heating to convert it.

Gabe's blackberry Berliner. Quite tart (but not overly so,) definitely pick up the blackberry and a subtle bit of funkiness in the finish. Did you add anything other than the sacc?

image-2395249379.jpg

I could easily drink the whole growler this way, but will add a touch of simple syrup to the next pour to see what happens.

Gabe's blackberry Berliner. Quite tart (but not overly so,) definitely pick up the blackberry and a subtle bit of funkiness in the finish. Did you add anything other than the sacc?

View attachment 150292

I could easily drink the whole growler this way, but will add a touch of simple syrup to the next pour to see what happens.

Glad you like it, the peach has the real pucker factor. It's got cantillon brett in there, too.

Saisonical Primus !!!! this was my first beer made with WL Saison II yeast which ws supposed to be a bit heavier on the esters than Saison I but, I'll be honest and I pushed this beer into the 80's and it is still to my and also my beer clubs palate refined balanced and a damn good Saison.... now if we could only bring the summer back.

First taste of my El Dorado single hop IPA. It's really quite good, but not quite what I wanted it to be. It's got the tropical fruit and candy-like character I've heard is characteristic of El Dorado, but it didn't ferment as dry as I was shooting for so the hop character is a bit muted. Good points are that the bitterness level is pretty much perfect. A bit of an edge, but not off putting and moderately strong. The mouthfeel is also a winner because, for the first time in an IPA, I used oats. It's a bit weird to get the smooth creaminess in an IPA, but it works well.

20130925_182000.jpg

mcbaumannerb said:
Okay - that's the touch of funk I'm getting then. Same brett that you added to that saison?

Same as 32B, not sure I've seen you post that. One you had the other day was wyeast brux.

Sweetened this time. Tones the tartness down as expected, but mutes the flavors as well. Definitely prefer the full tartness!

image-3942952294.jpg

And that first glAss went great with the stroganoff I made with the leftover roast! :rockin:

TNGabe said:
You get acetic? I'm thinking it's malic acid from the peaches and not having lacto after heating to convert it.

I don't even know what any of that means, haha. It is a little too tart to be a pleasant drinker, a little sweetness and it balances out. I will prep up some simple syrup this weekend for the other one.

My Bitter. I'm going to need to rebrew this before the end of the year, it seems. Albeit I gave out a half a case pouring at the DC AHA rally, but I've already mowed through almost all of the rest.

20130925_184729[1].jpg

BGBC said:
Any luck getting on the base yet?
Not yet. Waiting on a letter before I send in my appeal packet. My hope is waning.

finsfan said:
Niiiiiccccce
That was the only Tallgrass in the store. The lady told me about a place north of the city that's supposed to have a bigger selection. I liked the lady at that store though. She was pretty cute! I might go back there just to see her pretty face! Oh, and maybe pick up the Love Childs! You draw your own conclusions there. ;)

Anyway, this is happening. Cuz why not when you're on simulated house arrest?

image-2970854391.jpg

Not yet. Waiting on a letter before I send in my appeal packet. My hope is waning.

That was the only Tallgrass in the store. The lady told me about a place north of the city that's supposed to have a bigger selection. I liked the lady at that store though. She was pretty cute! I might go back there just to see her pretty face! Oh, and maybe pick up the Love Childs! You draw your own conclusions there. ;)

Anyway, this is happening. Cuz why not when you're on simulated house arrest?

Just don't go making a love child out of state brofish! Ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiing :ban: :rockin:

Nice. Is that the first batch?

Well done Channel! :fro:

Thanks guys, nah it's not the first, it's just one step closer to production, they are tweaking the grain bill a smidge etc. I don't have much to do with it outside the beasties.

I'm drinking coffee, the wife's grandfather passed away last night, and her grandmother passed this morning. Driving north. All the way north. Either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks guys, nah it's not the first, it's just one step closer to production, they are tweaking the grain bill a smidge etc. I don't have much to do with it outside the beasties.

I'm drinking coffee, the wife's grandfather passed away last night, and her grandmother passed this morning. Driving north. All the way north. Either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Sorry to hear man. Bad enough losing one, but both? That's gotta be rough. My condolences to your wife & you.

Sorry to hear man. Bad enough losing one, but both? That's gotta be rough. My condolences to your wife & you.

Crazy how 60 years of marriage makes you so dependent on each other. He had a heart attack, and she just passed, no illness just... didn't want to/couldn't live without him I suppose.

Condolences.

My condolences too. I lost my grandpa last month. It's tough. Cheers!

Thanks guys, I'll pass that on to her, she'll appreciate it, she's currently coping with a bottle of her sauv blanc while we figure out if we're leaving tonight or early tomorrow. I'm hoping for tomorrow so I can have a beer or 4.

Sorry to hear that channel, prayers to her family

Drinking a very nice hoppy porter, a little bite up front but more going down :D zombie monkie by tallgrass, check it out if u can!

ForumRunner_20130925_183737.png

Having a blonde ale. I lost 3 days of work because stupid DHS wanted for my wife and I both to meet with them about the adoption, and canceled at the last minute. I'm really beginning to get irritated...

Sorry to hear that man.

Back