McGee Adventures in Brewing 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesmcgee

Reaction score
Okay so sorry from my last brew entry that I didn't post any pictures, technical issues... mainly the fact that my buddies camera is a pile... stopped me from doing any uploading... I swear I wont have that problem again! :fro:

Here's the recipe...

Grain:

12 lbs American 2-row pale
1 lb 10L Munich
1 lb Dextrine Malt
1/4 lb 60L Crystal

Hops:

1 oz U.S. Cascades (60 mins)
1 oz U.S. Cascades (15 mins)
1/2 oz U.K. East Kent Goldings (dry hop?) for aroma

White Labs WLP0001 California Ale Yeast
Starter: Yes

Fermentation: 10 days at 68*

Bottle conditioning

We will be brewing either tomorrow or Saturday so look for updates as we proceed on those days.

HOORAY!:mug:

Is that a 5 gallon batch or 10 gallon? That MIGHT be a bit too much Cara-pils depending on what kind of attenuation/body you want.

It's a 5 gallon batch, I thought the same thing when I was buying the malt, but I had already crushed it so I might just use half... the high grain bill is basically to get my OG high, I'm looking for a real big beer this time for the holidays and I have been playing around with recipes for a couple days now, hopefully it turns out well.

Had my starter going at about 230 and I've seen a noticable increase in the amount of yeast at the bottom of the jug, still no top level active fermentation going on, although that should change within the next couple hours.

Hmmm. Well... woke up today to check the starter and I only see a small amount of bubbles and activity on the surface of the starter... hopefully the yeast is doing well or will kick up later on... at least there is SOME activity so I know the yeast is viable.

Okay gentlemen and ladies... today is brew day. I am about to be heating up my mash water and I've got all the **** ready to go! Pictures will be taken throughout the process and posted a little later on today. Wish me luck!

First runnings were 1.100 SG LOL!! I thought the new grain bill might put me on the high end, not that much though! Second runnings of the sparge water went down to 1.020 but I had already collected about 7.5 gallons so I started up the boil.

Okay I swear to god! I will not say I am going to post pictures and not have technical issues! The pictures should be up later on tonight or tomorrow if anyones interested, as for me, the yeast has been pitched and its looking very good, on to drink some of my last batch.

Latest posts

Back