Cleaning question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Drizzle

Reaction score
I just transfered my first brew from the primary to my secondary. So far, so good. Gravity was right in line with the recipie. My problem is that i spent about an hour cleaning out my primary which is a TrueBrew plastic bucket. The smell just won't go away. Is this normal? What effects will it have on future brews? Should i just keep plugging at it until my arms fall off?

Thanks

For plastic pails, try soaking them for a few hours in OxyClean or TSP with a bit of bleach. That will loosen up all the crud from fermentation and make it a LOT easier to scrub clean. OxyClean will also help remove some of the smell, but you will never get it all out of the plastic.

I usually just clean out the pail with some scrubbing and then fill with cool water a add 2+ oz bleach and let soak at least overnight. You will have a hard time getting rid of the smell. Good thing is that it will not affect any future brews!!!

Awesome guys! Getting the crud off wasn't too hard, just a bit of elbow grease. I'm just glad to hear that the residual smells won't have any negative effects.:tank:

Back