Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to take a closer look with a flashlight and what it looks like is the white is the normal krausen (sp?) and the brown-ish items are dried krausen......I don't believe it's an infection since I looked at it closer so disregard my last post. Sorry to panic, but I just feel this beer will be kick-a$$ and I don't want an infection to ruin it. LOL.....

Tim

I'll definitely make this recipe again before the summer is over. I've recently tried about 4 local MN saisons and I hands down preferred mine over all the ones I chose. when I brewed this I did not use pepper and am happy with my decision as I've found the strong peppery flavor isn't my favorite.

Ok, so here is a pic of my cottage house saison beer in the primary 4 days post brew. It's bubbling great but there is this white stuff that's mixed in the krausen. No idea what it is......is it part of the fermentation or could it be a possible infection. Never seen this before. The white part almost looks like foam in a beer. Any thoughts??

What yeast are you using? I get a krausen just like that one with Belle Saison.

I am also brewing this one. It's been in primary for 6 days and everything looks great. It smells great out of the airlock!
fermentation slowed down obviously but there is still activity going on.
I aimed for 15 gallons at 1.049 OG and got spot on for the OG and then I realized I only had 13 gallons and then I realized I forgot the honey!!! I guess with the honey I would have been close to reach full targets....

Anyone ever brewed this recipe without the honey? what do you think will be the impact on the finish product?
thanks

@depper
Did you have starsan foam in the carboy when you racked it? I recently had a batch like that looked like that and i had a bigger than average amount of foam on top.
Could be a coincidence though.

Either way you're good

@depper
Did you have starsan foam in the carboy when you racked it? I recently had a batch like that looked like that and i had a bigger than average amount of foam on top.
Could be a coincidence though.

Either way you're good

I always use starsan and there is usually some left in the carboy once I add the wort. Usually all that is gone within the same day of adding the wort. I feel comfortable that this is normal....thanks for offering your advice!

So mine is almost done fermenting. .1.064 down to 1.001, clocking in at 8%.

Is anyone aging this beer at all, or drinking it fresh?

Just kegged mine today.....FG read 1.003 with an OG of 1.063.....7.9% ABV!! I tasted my sample before kegging and it was OUTSTANDING!! Tastes just like a Belgian should taste! I also note the sharp back end that I would attribute to the pepper. It was a very pleasant surprise, one that helps with the complexity of the beer. Got her cooling now and will throw some gelatin in tomorrow and start to card her up. Thanks @azscoob for this awesome recipe!! Cheers!!

Tim

I'd have to say that I like this fresh too. I have some guys in my club that like to age them but can confirm like azscoob said that the flavors mellow out a bit.

Just kegged mine today.....FG read 1.003 with an OG of 1.063.....7.9% ABV!! I tasted my sample before kegging and it was OUTSTANDING!! Tastes just like a Belgian should taste! I also note the sharp back end that I would attribute to the pepper. It was a very pleasant surprise, one that helps with the complexity of the beer. Got her cooling now and will throw some gelatin in tomorrow and start to card her up. Thanks @azscoob for this awesome recipe!! Cheers!!

Tim

@depper No need to clarify with gelatin, the yeast are welcome in a hazy farmhouse ale, carb and drink this one fresh, hits the spot after a bit of yardwork!

I'll be the voice of dissent and say I like it better aged a bit. Something about it gets more complex as time goes on, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

...although it is a challenge to age this thing.

@depper No need to clarify with gelatin, the yeast are welcome in a hazy farmhouse ale, carb and drink this one fresh, hits the spot after a bit of yardwork!

Sounds good. One less step for me! I'll start the carbonation tonight and start drinking this weekend (if I can wait that long). Thanks for the advice!

Tim

Took a gravity reading in anticipation of bottling this weekend and discovered that my yeast (belle saison) did some serious work - got things all the way down to 1.000. Tasted the sample I pulled and I think it'll be a very good beer. Bit of funk, a little bit dry, with a hint of a spicy bite.

CGC8bz9UIAAgfHL.jpg

Anyone have any experience brewing this with a shortened fermentation period? Because I'm moving I needed to cut it down to 9 days primary 9 days secondary. One pack of Belle Saison yeast crunched its way from 1.061 to 1.004 in 72 hours and I was pretty happy with the dryness at transfer. Just wondering if there could be any adverse effects of shortening the ferm period, seeing as it doesn't really seem like a beer that would improve much by cleaning up in a longer ferm.

Anyone have any experience brewing this with a shortened fermentation period? Because I'm moving I needed to cut it down to 9 days primary 9 days secondary. One pack of Belle Saison yeast crunched its way from 1.061 to 1.004 in 72 hours and I was pretty happy with the dryness at transfer. Just wondering if there could be any adverse effects of shortening the ferm period, seeing as it doesn't really seem like a beer that would improve much by cleaning up in a longer ferm.

Are you kegging or bottling?

I can't see an issue with a shorter time as long as things aren't still fermenting, I've kegged it after 10 days total fermentation time and have loved it!

I will be bottling, so far there has been no more fermentation. I am really excited about this batch. It will be carbed right when I move and I will be keeping it in my cooler to drink when we camp on our way across the country.

I'm in the same boat. I made a batch Monday OG 1.058 checked the gravity today and I'm sitting at 1.003. I also used Belle Saison and fermented at room temp the whole time. I want to bottle this batch so I can get a higher CO2 volume than my other beers in my kegerator (single regulator). I think I'm going to wait 1 more week before bottling just to be sure and let it condition out but the taste of the sample I checked today was better than I was expecting.

You expected less than great? I'm not sure how that makes me feel. :D :D

LOL. I had no doubts about the recipe, chose it mostly because of the recipe. More doubt in my own abilities and improvisations. I wrote down caravienne instead of caramunich on my shopping list when I went to the LHBS (oops) and then I also got german pilsner instead of belgian. Also pitched the yeast at 72 and then it worked it's way up to 78 in a day instead of letting it ferment at 68-70 for a few days then letting it ramp up on it's own. I was also hesitant about Belle Saison over 3711 (LHBS didn't have it only the belgian saison). I'm pretty happy with it though, now to just wait 3 weeks for a fully carbed bottle.

You expected less than great? I'm not sure how that makes me feel. :D :D

I have to tell you, I tapped into my keg of this on Saturday, and though it's not fully carbed yet, it was freek'n phenomenal!! IMO, the bite at the end makes this an awesome beer. I had two glasses on a hot humid day and it was very refreshing, and due to the 8% ABV, it also made me realize I needed to eat some food!:tank:

I was hoping I didn't screw this one up and based on the taste, I didn't! Great recipe and one I WILL do again. Thx @azscoob!:rockin:

Tim

I brewed this recipe up today with a few alterations.

I have a bunch of EKG that I have had in my freezer for a little over a year, so I subbed that in for the Fuggles (which I didn't have any of). I figure with the Alpha loss that I have had due to storage, it should be pretty close to the Alpha level of fresh Fuggles.

Also, I could not find any Orange Blossom honey locally, so I just used some local raw honey and added .25 oz of bitter orange peel when I added the honey.

I hit my OG perfectly (1.061) and the wort tasted pretty dang good.

Now to sit back and wait. It should be good and hot here in South TX when this one finishes up, so I will probably burn through it pretty quickly.

Served 10 gallons at my wedding this past weekend and it was a big success. I had several BMC drinkers tell me that they drank this all night instead of the Corona and Yeungling I offered. Love introducing people to different styles. Overall, this was very successful and it's a great recipe. Thanks for sharing it!

This is a awesome Saison! I followed the receipe exactly except I added the peel of a lemon at 5 min. It smelled wonderful while brewing, almost tea like. It's bitey, crisp, and dry, the way a good Saison should be. I have 30 champagne bottles of this wonderful beer to give as gifts to family and friends. I envision this pairing well with Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks for the recipe!

This is a awesome Saison! I followed the receipe exactly except I added the peel of a lemon at 5 min. It smelled wonderful while brewing, almost tea like. It's bitey, crisp, and dry, the way a good Saison should be. I have 30 champagne bottles of this wonderful beer to give as gifts to family and friends. I envision this pairing well with Thanksgiving dinner. Thanks for the recipe!

Somewhere there is a pic of a champagne bottle of this on the thanksgiving table, it was very well received indeed!!!

Finished my last bottle of a batch i brewed over a year ago and i will say i'm mad i didn't save more it aged very well definitely on my list to rebrew thanks!!

I will add i used WLP565 i would like to rebrew with the 3711

Finished my last bottle of a batch i brewed over a year ago and i will say i'm mad i didn't save more it aged very well definitely on my list to rebrew thanks!!

I will add i used WLP565 i would like to rebrew with the 3711

I'm dissapointed you haven't brewed this in over a year too.... GET BREWING!!!!!

I had my dad over today to help me brew and I had this beer on tap. He is an Old Mil Light drinker and has been since the beginning of time. I had him try this beer and he absolutely loved it! I was shocked!! I had to fill a growler for him to take home. The only bad thing about this beer is that it hasn't lasted very long in my keg :(. Looks like I'll do brewing this one again SOON!

Just tapped a keg of this, I'd never brewed a saison before buy my ferm freezer broke, I was itching to brew and ambient temp was 85*f so I figured I'd try this recipe out. I wanted a summery brew so I added the zest and juice of a lemon and dry hopped with 1oz of lemon drop and I have to say I think this may be in the regular rotation.

Well, I just brewed this today. But oh my did things go wrong!

First, I sort of jumped on brew day at the last minute, so no starter. Pitched the smack pack anyway, hoping it takes off. I think it will. Second, I got my wort up high, and saw my mesh hop filter on the table... :smack: Managed to tip my kettle and get it in there before the boil took off.

Bunch of other little issues here and there, hadn't brewed in a long time, so I really should have put this off until another day. Oh well, it's in the fermenter now, OG read 1.060, and I'm hoping for the best!

Probably not going to get this done in time to be drinking it during the traditional saison season but you all say it ages well. So I think in August or September I'll brew it up and then see if I have the willpower to keep a half a batch for next spring/summer :fro:

I make most of my saisons 3 weeks grain to glass. Its not fully carbed until 4 weeks though. I ferment my saisons in the 90s though so that probably speeds up the process...

I make most of my saisons 3 weeks grain to glass. Its not fully carbed until 4 weeks though.

+1 on this! When I made this beer I was drinking it in about 3 weeks, despite it not being fully carbed (I couldn't wait!). 4 weeks and you should be good to go. BTW, I kegged my batch.

Back