Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My variation on Cottage House is in its 6th week of secondary. Looking to bottle on Wednesday!

What's your variation? I'm planning on a couple changes myself, due to grains on hand... what did you do?

I mentioned this a few pages back, but it got buried!

I stuck to your grain bill, but split the honey with brown sugar (due to me forgetting to buy honey). I also changed the hops completely, as I rec'd a bunch of random free hops from my LHBS the morning of brew day: Huell Melon, Hallertau and Jarrylo.

Oh, and I skipped the spice addition, as I anticipate adding brett to half this batch and prefer that flavor profile for slight souring.

Recipe details here: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/toecutter-saison

:)

Hey I am planning on brewing this tomorrow and just wondering if people did 90 minute boils because of the pilsner malt? The recipe states 60 miinutes, so just curious what others did? Thanks!

Ive never done a 90min boil with pilsner malt and that across 50 batches of so with pils as the base. The first 2 I did 90, then 1 was 75, then I just said F%^* it. Never had any issues with DMS

Ive never done a 90min boil with pilsner malt and that across 50 batches of so with pils as the base. The first 2 I did 90, then 1 was 75, then I just said F%^* it. Never had any issues with DMS

This, modern malts are well converted and don't really need a 90 minute boil. I gave up on that somewhere in 2009-2010

Here's the hydro sample after a few weeks sitting at room temp. 1.000!!! Or close enough. Pretty excited for this batch

image.jpg

Just mashed in on this. I'm doing cane sugar instead of honey, and in true farmhouse style, I added 1 lb of instant rice to the grist. Using Belle Saison because I'm not set up for starters yet. Pretty excited about this one, as I have been focused on American styles exclusively.

Blergh! Brewed this yesterday, pitched the yeast, it's fermenting away, and I realized I forgot the honey! Too late to add it to the fermenter? (My gut says it is, just let it go, and remember for next time.)

Thanks,
Dan

Blergh! Brewed this yesterday, pitched the yeast, it's fermenting away, and I realized I forgot the honey! Too late to add it to the fermenter? (My gut says it is, just let it go, and remember for next time.)

Thanks,
Dan

No way, just add it right into the fermentor. I always like to add honey after 2-3 dfays of fermenting. It helps retain the aromatics and stresses the yeast less due to a lower OG to get started in

No way, just add it right into the fermentor. I always like to add honey after 2-3 dfays of fermenting. It helps retain the aromatics and stresses the yeast less due to a lower OG to get started in

Never tried this, do you dilute with water first or add it straight and stir it in?

Just bottled this and it tasted awesome! Didn't get all the way down to 1.002 though...mine was pretty much finished at 1.005 which i'm okay with.

We had lots of 90F days and I fermented it in open air for 3 weeks instead of two so mine probably has a bit more funkiness going on (which I wanted). But very dry and unbelievably tasty. Can't wait to drink it once it's carbed up.

I will say this recipe could probably benefit from being aged for a while. Has anyone let it sit for 6-8 months? Was it worth it?

Never tried this, do you dilute with water first or add it straight and stir it in?

I just dumped (more liek drizzled) it straight in. Ive heard people say it wont get mixed up well enough, but I always dump it at high krausen. Theres so much yeast activity and upwelling ive never ran into any issues. I do the same thing with candi syrups. As long as its from a sealed container, i dont worry about sanitation

I've found some high gravity saisons can be great candidates for aging, but they dont really get any better like imperial stouts. Id just drink it now if its tasty

Thanks Bubble Boy! I'll add it when I get home tonight...that'll be about 48 hours after pitching.

-Dan

Tasted my batch of Jarrylo/Huell Melon/Hallertau Cottage House last night and WOW, it's exactly the iconic, clean Saison I hoped it would be. The hops aren't as present as I thought they'd be with 6oz in the boil, but it's wonderful! Thanks again for the base recipe.

FG 1.002 (or less!?) This yeast is a BEAST.

Gonna add orange/lemon/lime rind to a keg of this, and rest the other half on a flat of peaches.

I'm a very happy guy rinnow.

Brewed this once and its sitting in bottles now. Super tasty, exactly what i wanted in a saison. Fermented at 63F the first three weeks then after three more weeks in an un-airconditioned closet I couldn't get it to drop any lower than 1.005.

Thinking I'm going to try this again with some guava pulp and use the wyeast saison/brett blend to add a little more funk to it.

Just brewed this the other day. It was my first all grain batch, so I lost a lot efficiency, but so far I've got 4.5 gallons of 6.75% brew. I think I may have used a whole ounce of sorachi ace by accident....:drunk:Lets hope the alpha was depleted!

Just brewed this the other day. It was my first all grain batch, so I had lot effeciency, but so far I've got 4.5 gallons of 6.75% brew. I think I may have used a whole ounce of sorachi ace by accident....:drunk:Lets hope the alpha was depleted!

Congratulations on your first all grain batch! It amazes me that some people freak out about going all grain.... See? It wasn't that hard was it? :ban:

Congratulations on your first all grain batch! It amazes me that some people freak out about going all grain.... See? It wasn't that hard was it? :ban:

Nope, not too hard at all. In fact I prefer it to working with extract. As I stated, I had pretty low efficiency, which is what I'll aim to improve next time.

My first AG batch was low too, takes a few batches to get your effiency up, mines still not completely stable but each brew gets a little more steady

Just an update: I decided to forgo the honey (I missed it in the boil. m00ps suggested to add on the 2nd or 3rd day of ferment, but Life interrupted, so...). Took a gravity reading yesterday. 1.001, down from 1.054. Sample tasted great. Gonna pick up the grains/hops for another batch, brew it (with the honey this time), bottle this batch, and dump the new batch on the yeast cake.

Love this hobby!

-Dan

Brewed the other day. Left out the honey as well. Got 1.052 gravity. It's been going a month in primary Sunday. I added brettanomcyes to it

You could add the honey when you add the brett to speed up the conditioning and get a larger amount of wild character quicker

Just mashed in on this. I'm doing cane sugar instead of honey, and in true farmhouse style, I added 1 lb of instant rice to the grist. Using Belle Saison because I'm not set up for starters yet. Pretty excited about this one, as I have been focused on American styles exclusively.

Bottled this batch last night. Down to 1.001 from 1.072. Bucket dregs were fantastic. I'll see how it conditions before I'll say I'd brew it again, but I'll most likely be brewing it again.

I may have to brew my variant on this again soon! I sub in a little Gambrinus honey malt, and it's sublime. I'm tempted to add some herbs next time a la Saison D'etre instead, though!

Massive props for the recipe, this is what a saison is all about.

I may have to brew my variant on this again soon! I sub in a little Gambrinus honey malt, and it's sublime. I'm tempted to add some herbs next time a la Saison D'etre instead, though!

Massive props for the recipe, this is what a saison is all about.

It's so simple it's silly. This will be a house beer for sure.

I'm not looking for a huge brettanomcyes taste just a slight finish. I've brewed many sours lately this is my cleanest beer I've brewed in about a year

Just had a bottle after they were fermenting for 5 weeks (3 weeks at 63F, 2 weeks in warmer summer temps) and aged it in bottles for 3 weeks. This stuff is unbelievable.

Liked it so much Im brewing a second batch but adding a little sweet orange peel to the boil and racking it over some guava pulp in secondary.

this recipe look so good and i'm going to brew it!
I entered the recipe in beersmith and give me a lot different ibu value, near 50!(same AA%)
the difference i think is all in the FWH calculate, my question is if i have to use your quantities and don't look beersmith or to decrease in order to get your amount of ibu

I found the same thing with brewers friend, but stick with what's posted, its not bitter at all.

Just chiming in here - I have this in a keg right now and it is so, so, so freakin' good. And it pairs beautifully with everything. Awesome.

As I stated before I think I accidently doubled the sorachi ace on this one putting me around 55-60 IBU....I'm interested to see how it will taste now haha.

Did you add the oz of Sorachi as FWH or later in the boil. The few times of used it I have found as a FWH its smooth and more of the lemon comes out. As a straight 60 mom hop I get more slightly harsh bitterness and not much lemon. As a 5, 10, 15, 20 min hop she's a lovely creature!!!

FWH as per the directions. Actually it appears as if I completely messed up the hop bill on this brew haha

FWH 1 oz Sorachi Ace

15 min .5 oz fuggle
10 min .5 oz fuggle
5 min 1 oz fuggle

My apologies in advance. I suspect the answers to my questions are somewhere in the 151 prior pages (about 50 of which I have been through).

Which Caramunich does the original recipe use: I (31-38L), II (42-49L) or III (53-60.5)? Does any maltster make "caramunich" other than Weyermann? I understand that Wyermann has a trademark on Caramunich and every maltster is different. But, are there others that make a something very similar? I have read that C-60 is similar, but not really a substitute. It appears that Dingemans may make something similar.

I have my starter of 3711 going and I look forward to brewing Saturday!

Thank you.

Back