combo fermenter / kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
I just picked up a 27 cubic foot chest freezer for $100. I was planning on using it for lagering, but since it's so freakin' huge, I was wondering if I could also have it pull double duty as a kegerator.

I've never lagered, and I'm still reading up, but it looks like not only do you use a variety of temps (primary, diacetyl, lagering), but it seems like the majority of the time it'll be at low temps, about 35F.

Will the stuff in the kegs like these crazy fluctuations in temp? Is it gonna be good to serve beer at 35F?

the wife'll kill me if i ask to buy another fridge just for dispensing....

thanks!

I dont know a lot about lagering (cuz I dont do it!), But I keep my keezer at 36 degrees. So I dont think servering beer at 35 would be an issue. Not sure if that helps. Good luck!

i was confused by that as well. also, why his kegs were colder than his lager tanks. i mean, aside from primary, should lager happen pretty darn cold?

thanks for the link Boerderij. did you get to the northern brewer opening? I might be going tomorrow

Yes I went to the opening. The store is unreal. They have everything, and the people are super helpful and they all actually brew and know what they are talking about (at least those I spoke to). I am very happy they are here.

I like to lager at 32º but normally keep my serving kegs at 38º. I don't think that is too big a difference.

Excellent! I'm going to stop there tonight, pretty excited. Except since I won't be brewing for 2 weeks, I probably won't buy anything today....

good info on lagering / serving temps.

Latest posts

Back