Carboys smell a lot when fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
so this ones really lame but i live in a apartment and i have a roomate, and when i ferment i keep the carboy in my closet most of the time because my roomate doesnt want the thing laying around(hes alittle nuts when it comes to cleaning)lol but he can drink alot. anyways so the thing makes everything smell funky in my room s my question is ,is there a better way than using a typical air lock or am i just SOL??

Tough choice. Good beer or happy room mate? What's it going to be?

wow i never thought about running the tube outside my window...:drunk:
ill try that one... oh my roomate likes the beer stuff... the brew sculpture in the living room/kitchen / family room thing= epic

Or....instead of an airlock, you could run a blowoff tube into another jar filled with liquid fabric softener. in my college daze....it was a real hit...for smell

Hmm I love walking in my fermentation room(bathroom) just to smell the smells of fermentation.

Tell him if he ever wants good beer again he'll quit his whining about the smell. Then punch him in the mangina and play Sir Mix-a-lot.

Or, karbinator's suggestion would work. I guess.

+1 on making any apple brew - after that anything smells good.
+1 on blowoff tube out the window. I never would have thought of that.
Liquid fabric softener... OK, I need another beer+ to start thinking outside of the box again.

ahaha the fabric softner is an awsome idea.... i should punch him in the mangina.lol

no but i was the one bitching because everything in myroom including my clothes smell like fermenting beer. its not like i dont enjoy the smell i just dont think cologn can cover the smell of my clothes. besides i dont want to be the smelly kid

I share a room with my girlfriend and she's been surprisingly supportive of my first beer brewing excursion. Now my brew is on it's first day of ferment and I'm noticing some smells from our shared closet. She has a bad sense of smell so I'm gonna ride it out and hope she doesn't notice it. :D

Its not like i dont enjoy the smell i just dont think cologn can cover the smell of my clothes. besides i dont want to be the smelly kid

I can see it now - "Yes Officer, there is a good reason why I smell like a brewery"

Tried that, it did not work.

Back