jicama beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHookah209

Reaction score
Hello everyone, as the title suggests I'm interested in making a beer using jicama as an adjunct. I tried searching but after a few attempts I didn't find anything at all. I have no particular style in mind but it occurred to me that jicama are high in sugar( I have no idea how fermentable they are) and might work well in beer. So has anyone on here tried this before? Any response is appreciated.

Jicama is not as high in sugar as say agave or grapes. Jicama is somewhat starchy and sweet; almost like a cross between an apple and a potato. I wouldn't think it was all that fermentable being a root vegetable and all - even though Carrots are a root vegetable, they are sweeter than Jicama.

Jicama is not as high in sugar as say agave or grapes. Jicama is somewhat starchy and sweet; almost like a cross between an apple and a potato. I wouldn't think it was all that fermentable being a root vegetable and all - even though Carrots are a root vegetable, they are sweeter than Jicama.

The starch can be converted to sugar in the mash.

I never said that it could or couldn't be. Just stating that jicama isn't exactly high in sugar. It's quite starchy in addition to the little sugar it has. The OP wanted to know "how" fermentable it was. I wouldn't think it would be as fermentable as agave, carrots, or grapes.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just have try some in my next brew and see how it turns out. I'll post my results here once I try it.

Outside of a little sugar, Jicama i find to be pretty bland so I'm not really sure it would impart much into a beer and be worthwhile. i would think you would have to use a lot!

I actually have the same idea man. Been kicking it around for a while now I would suggest trying to add another adjunct that compliments the jicama. Say, lemon zest, ginger etc.

Jicama actually has more sugar in them than most people think! I think people assume that simply because they taste more refreshing than sweet. A medium one actually has about 12 grams of sugar in it. Making it pretty close to carrots in sweetness. That's if you weighed up carrots to equal the weight of a medium jicama.

Not sure how much of that sugar is fermentable or not but I def think it's worth a try.

I'd start off with mashing it like pumpkin.

Alternately, you could mash it seperately, like a potato mash for distillation, and add the mash water to the primary or secondary.

Back