Mashing - Grain or Strike Water in the MLT first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does it make a difference if you add your grain to the MLT first and then water on top, or add strike water to MLT first and then mix in grain? I've done both. Is there a "correct" way? Any benefit to one over the other?

The only correct way is the way that works best for you. It makes no difference to the beer. I find it easier to put the water in the tun, then stir in the grain.

If you add grain first you increase the chance for dough balls which will jeopardize your efficiency and temperature of mash. so yes, it dos make a difference. Pre heat mash tun with some hot water, then add mash water, then add grain, slowly stirring it into the mash, although I have been known to dump the whole grain bill quickly, but it is not recommended

The only correct way is the way that works best for you. It makes no difference to the beer. I find it easier to put the water in the tun, then stir in the grain.

Ture, very true. A lesson to live by in homebrewing

For me, the advantage of water first allows me to use the strike water to pre-heat the MLT...

I like this technique best. Get the most out of your hot water. Heat the strike water up an extra ~10 degrees and let it preheat the MLT while slowly dropping to the correct strike temp. Best use of water.

Back before I did it this way, I'd "layer" my water and grain. First I'd add enough water to cover the manifold. Then half the grain. Then about half the remaining water. Then the last of the grain. Then the last of the water. Didn't require as much stirring and seems a little faster than the "slowly stir the grain into the standing water" technique above, but I still prefer the preheated tun technique.

I preheat the MLT to just about where I'm looking for Step 1. In many cases, this is around 120 for Protein Rest, but sometimes up to 150 for Sacc. rest.

I let this go while I heat the strike water to whatever Beersmith tells me - usually a few degrees above target temp.

Once the strike water is ready, Dump my preheat water into my HLT and add like this:

Some water
Some grain
some water
rest of grain
rest of water

Stir to reach temp and closer her up.

Then I add the remainder of my sparge water to the HLT and continue heating. Doesn't waste water and lets me use the calculator tools in my brewing software.

I add the whole volume of water (after preheating the mashtun) and then add small portions of grain at a time. Usually in 4 increments, stirring in between each addition. Before doing it this way, I used to dump in all the grain at once and it would take 10 minutes for the temperature to level out. Of course I would panic and either hot or cold water and make it worse. By adding the grain in increments the temperature levels in a minute or so. No need to panic...

Latest posts

Back