First batch is in the bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostBavarianMan

Reaction score
1st 5 gal batch is in the bucket.
change some things at last minute on the recipe and im glad i did.

2 gal boil.
steeped
2lbs Biscuit Malt
1/2 lbs CHocolate Malt
45 minutes @ 165 degress
while waiting for boil
2 Lbs Breiss Pilsner Light DME
Boil
After Hot break
1oz Amarillo hops for 45minutes
1oz Amarillo hops for 15 minutes
Flame out
4lbs Muntons Canadian Ale
1/2 cup Molassas
cold crashed in sink with ice bath
Qbrew said OG 1057 But I think I either took Hydro before it had cooled enough because I got 1050.
Tasted from Hydro All I can say is WOW the Amarillo hops are awsome.
And if the taste test is anything like the finished product then I am for sure going to make this again.
Woke up this morning to the beautiful sound of my airlock playing music for me.

Congratulations! Now just have some patience and keep it in the bucket for three weeks!

Yeah, but it gives the yeasties time to clean up after themselves. They'll remove a lot of off flavors, giving you a better beer!

I have a small batch 1st test bottle going in the fridge today for testing thursday. So I am still at the stage of trying to get the pipe line going. But I keep buying bottles with free beer in them from my Local beer store. Need to stock up on bottles.

Enjoy the addiction....er I mean hobby.

You are right the Amarillo hops do smell great. I have an all Amarillo IPA in bottles that is going to be ready to drink next week. mmmmmmm

Ok Sunday is going to be 21 days in the fermenter I pulled a hydro sample today and it came in at 1.014 and this is just what qbrew said it would be. I am going to pull another saturday and then again sunday If they are all the same then this stuff is going in the bottles. I drank my hydro sample and this stuff is really good. starts out kind of malty not sweet but malty and finishes clean and hoppy and great body. Starting to clear up nicely. I figure 2 weeks in for carb pop one in the fridge over night and test and then again in a week so with any luck I am gonna have a really good dark brown hoppy ale to keep me going as I plan my all Amarillo IPA. Prost

On this recipe.
I waited 21 days in the fermenter. 21 days in the bottle finally popped a six in the fridge. The first one was very crisp with a nice Amarillo hope bite at the end. So I poured another but did not get a chance to drink right away. About 20 minutes or so later I sat down to drink this one. WOW I need to let these warm for about 15- 20 minutes after opening to get the full flavor out of them but what a wonderful brew I have. From the start you get a nice malty flavor by the end you get a really nice hope bite dark red in color truly one of the better beers I have ever tasted.

Latest posts

Back