Cara-pils flavor contribution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
Is there any reason, flavor-wise, not to substitute cara-pils for malto-dextrin? If not, what would a be a reasonable amount to use if the original recipe called for 8oz of m-d? It is going in a robust porter, btw.

Nope. CaraPils - otherwise known as Dextrine Malt [tm] - can be directly substituted for malto-dextrin in all-grain grists.

I recommend extract-and-steep brewers use malto-dextrin instead of CaraPils, because a steep will only provide ~25% of the stuff you want out of CaraPils and malto-dextrin gives you 100%.

If you're an extract-and-steep brewer, stick with the m/d or up the CaraPils to a full pound to 1.5 lbs.

Cheers,

Bob

Nope. CaraPils - otherwise known as Dextrine Malt [tm] - can be directly substituted for malto-dextrin in all-grain grists.

I recommend extract-and-steep brewers use malto-dextrin instead of CaraPils, because a steep will only provide ~25% of the stuff you want out of CaraPils and malto-dextrin gives you 100%.

If you're an extract-and-steep brewer, stick with the m/d or up the CaraPils to a full pound to 1.5 lbs.

Cheers,

Bob

So is CaraPils partly unconverted or something? I always thought it was made just like Crystal but was essentially Crystal 1.5L, meaning that it imparts some fermentable and unfermentables, maybe a hint of flavor, and that like cystal it will improve head retention.

So is CaraPils partly unconverted or something? I always thought it was made just like Crystal but was essentially Crystal 1.5L, meaning that it imparts some fermentable and unfermentables, maybe a hint of flavor, and that like cystal it will improve head retention.

CaraPils and similar malts have some crystal characteristics but they are not entirely crystal malts. Some if not all have unconverted starches which is why this malt should be mashed. The Weyermann version, CaraFoam, even has some diastatic enzyme content IIRC.

Cheers,

Bob

I'm AG, so would I replace 8 oz of m-d with 8 oz of cara-pils?

So if one were shooting for over-the-top foam stability/head retention up to what percentage of the grist could be CaraPils? BS thinks that number is 20%, AHS says 1-5% is effective. If I actually used 20% CaraPils and mashed at 158F, and bottle conditioned, could I produce a beer which retained foam for 1 minute, 5 minutes, 20 minutes? I'm too new to AG to know what the upper range is. The best I've done so far is around 2 minutes but every now and again I'll see a post which makes reference to foam lasting 30 minutes. I drink beer somewhat slowly and I would love to have foam all the way to the bottom of the pint.

I'm not sure where, but I read this somewhere:

"CaraPils - otherwise known as Dextrine Malt [tm] - can be directly substituted for malto-dextrin in all-grain grists. "

:mug:

Bob

I'll just shoot for 1:1. I'm mainly looking for mouthfeel. Thanks!

Malto Dextrin is much more concentrated than what you will get from Carapils. I would say use about a pound of Carapils to replace 4 oz. of Malto Dextrin.

Forrest

Back