White LABS WLP810 first batch crazy temps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
The inside of the house gets a bit warm about 70...I racked from the primary and decided to get the carboy into the cold garage. Day temperatures will be in the 50's night will be upper 30's...The garage is not exactly well insulated but it does have a lot of junk :)

It has been fermenting in primary for one week. Is there any danger to leaving it sit in the cold for too long? I was thinking of letting it sit for two weeks. Day time temperatures should be in the mid 50's possibly higher.

I have a lot of esters/fruity aroma and a strong alcoholic solvent character. I'm too stubborn to throw away the batch...I've made every mistake in the book but I'm determined to let it continue on the journey.

I've now learned that higher fermentation temperatures and Steam Beer yeast don't mix. Next time I'll go for a Belgian strain.

I'm drinking a Budweiser to remind me of how I can't do much worse :)

It depends on how cold it gets. If it stays above 60 in the fermenter, it will just slow your fermentation, but if it gets much further below that, the yeast could go dormant.

Your last statement begs the question, why do you have a Bud in your place to begin with?;)

Back