Shanks have "shoulders" inside of them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CplHunter

Reaction score
I just picked up some stainless steel shanks off of ebay for a very nice price. Everything looks good...except the inside of the shank. It looks to me like they were drilled from both ends (for some reason), and the holes don't quite meet up squarely. This leaves a small shoulder inside of the tube (no matter which end you look in). I'd guess that the size of the shoulders are less than one millimeter. They just look quite pronounced when the light casts a shadow. An unbent paper clip will get hung up on them.

Here's a crude illustration:

shank.gif

Is this going to cause any problems when dispensing?

Hah. Well unfortunately all 3 of the shanks I bought have this problem. (I'm wondering if this isn't why they were so cheap...)

I don't know the answer to your question (doesn't sound good though), but could you point us to the ebay auction so that we don't end up buying from the same lot?

Thanks!

I dunno... When you look at all the disturbances that the beer encounters, going through poppit, QD on the keg, to the tubing, to the tailpiece, to the shank, to the faucet, I can't see one more little bump making that big a difference. But hey, I've been wrong before! Shh, don't tell. :D

It's quite common for holes to be drilled from both ends. This lets the manufacturer use shorter drill bits, less breakage, etc. I don't believe the mis-alignment will cause any problems (and it is probably why the price was so good). Just brush them out when cleaning.

Seller has no more for sale, but they came from this store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Advanced-Homebrew-Equipment

Here's the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260149165387

They were specified as being made by Shirron (and I can believe it, because externally they are beautiful).

I got 3 of them for $62 shipped (not as good as I remembered...I was drunk, oh well). While you bring up good points Jester, I'm thinking I should get my money back and get some that are smooth for the same price or slightly more.

Perhaps a better question to ask is...has anyone ever peered into their shank and seen the same condition?

Maybe I'm overreacting...

Back