Need help asap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert9

Reaction score
So I left about 7 gallon to ferment. And after 10 days it is slowing down. I checked the sugar level in the cider and it is about 5-10g/L ( started with 50-100g/L) and according to my hydrometer instructions it should be around 6-7% ABV. I tasted my cider and it is now a little too dry for me now. So my question, that should I do now? I know that I should rack it and leave(how long), but for that purpose? As I understand racked cyder will ferment further. Or can I rack and sweaten it? How can I do that? Should I just take sugar(how much?) dissolve it in water and pour in racked cider while it will be sweet as I wish, then bottle it and let it stay trying bottles after some days till the carbonation will be good and pasterize in oven?

Please give me some instructions.
P.s. I took my apples to apple press, and just left it to ferment(no yeast or sugar added, I want traditional cider :)

Should I just take sugar(how much?) dissolve it in water and pour in racked cider while it will be sweet as I wish, then bottle it and let it stay trying bottles after some days till the carbonation will be good and pasterize in oven?

Well if you do that, you'll just end up carbonating it and it won't be any sweeter due to the yeast eating all of the sugar to create the CO2 needed for carbonation. You can use campden tablets to kill the yeast, add the sugar and bottle but it will be still instead of carbonated.

I'm not sure of how well lactose works in cider but you can always give that a try as it's unfermentable by S. cerevisiae

First thing you should do is read the stickied topic and the top of this forum called 'Easy Stove-top Pasteurising With Pics'. Basically backsweeten to taste, add a little bit more sugar and then wait for your preferred carbonation level, then pasteurise as per the topic.

I WOULD NOT SUGGEST PUTTING GLASS + DISSOLVED CO2 INTO AN OVEN!

Back