All Grain Mash/Sparge Water Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakeErieBrew

Reaction score
One thing that made all-grain brewing a bit mystifying for me was the amount of water to use for mashing and sparging.

I made a very simple calculator in Excel to help calculate the amounts of mash water, sparge water, and boil volume based on the amount of grain, amount of wort you want to put in primary, grain absorption, etc. These various parameters can be changed based on your recipe.

Please give it a try and let me know if it can be improved. I used a free file hosting site, so I apologize if there are any pop-ups.

Link

I love spreadsheets, but there are a lot of brewing software programs out there and they all do the same thing, as well as let you design a recipe.

I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel with this little spreadsheet, just trying to make things quicker than doing it by hand.

I would like to give Beer Smith or a similar program another shot. I tried Beer Smith but couldn't figure it out after a few minutes, and haven't tried again since.

Just thought I'd bump this thread up. Nice spreadsheet!

is the .15 qt per lb of water absorption by grain something of a 'known constant', or does that tend to vary based on the grains used, i.e. flaked, or the type of grind, etc?

Latest posts

Back