K-sorbate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonTail

Reaction score
I have a batch of Vanilla mead that I started 4-1-2006, with an O.G. of 1.102, that is now at 1.010, with White Labs Sweet Mead Yeast. It has been at this gravity for at least a month now. It is crystal clear and tastes exactly as I want it to. I want to bottle it, but I have never had a batch end this high. Most usually go to 1.002 - 1.000. Aprox. temp for the whole ferment has been around 63F (+/-5).
I have never had a problem bottling without adding anything, but I was thinking of adding some potassium sorbate, just in case the yeast decide to start up again. My question is, will this cause any clouding? Like I said, I have never added any "chemicals" post fermentation, so this is something new to me.
Thanks, :)

I don't yet know about mead,(first batch coming up) but I've used it in a few wines which turned out crystal clear. I had always assumed I would use it in mead.
BTW, what's the recipe for your Vanilla Mead?

The recipe was pretty basic.

15 lbs clover honey
White Labs Sweet Mead Yeast (starter of 2 cups of fresh squeezed OJ and a pinch of nutrient, 1 day before pitching)
2 vanilla beans (1 in primary, 1 in secondary)

Mix the honey with enough water to make 5.5 gal (I used a whisk to beat plenty of air into solution)
Once everything is mixed together, take a gravity reading, split a bean and toss it in, and pitch the yeast.
I kept in the primary for ~1 month.
Rack to seconday and add 2nd bean (split).
Keep in secondary until clear.
Rack again (if you like, which is what I did because I didn't have enough bottles) or bottle.

Cheers, :mug:

I would not bother adding sorbate. Your mead is done. At this point you can bottle it. Then hide it in your cellar for as long as you can forget about it. Hopefully that is at least a couple of years. :mug:

Back