Suggest a malty less hoppy ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skybrew

Reaction score
Please suggest to me a malty less hoppy style of ale that I can brew.

I am ok with a hoppy beer, but I am trying to think of a beer style that the maltiness comes through more then the hops. Think of the malt smell you get from the brew kettle before your first hop addition.
Thanks

A good alt, while having the IBU of an IPA, can be very malty.

My alt #2 from recipe database is mighty malty - if you're scared of the hop additions, you can even drop them down a bit for more malt flavor.

On the lighter side there's Blondes, Cream ales or Scottish/Irish reds on the slightly more robust and flavorful side. I think of the American Blonde as being the lighter cousin to the ordinary bitter. The bitter uses Marris Otter and Nobles with a more estery English yeast while the blonde is a domestic 2-row with american hops and cleaner yeast alternative.

ESB's and Bitters and Milds, Yum!

Imperial Stouts and Barleywines, of course!

Scotch Ales, Reds, and nearly all lagers. Lagers. Have you tried Spaten Optimator? It's malty as hell and quite amazing. It runs maybe $14 for a 12 pack and, I swear, if they sold it in Bombers, they could charge $7 each and folks would buy it. It's really that special of a beer.

Thanks so far everyone and keep them coming!
I should also clarifty, I am going to do an Oatmeal stout next as my first AG and I have done a cream ale and a Kolsch already. So I am leaning to an amber or red in my search.
Thanks again. :mug:

Back