Single CPVC manifold instead of stainless mesh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSGT09

Reaction score
I've been reading up a lot of DIY mash tuns and have decided to go the rectangular cooler route, most likely a 70 quart Coleman Xtreme so I can get into big beers with a large grain bill and/or 10 gallon batches and not outgrow it.

I plan to batch sparge and wanted the ease of a stainless mesh instead of an all out manifold. But is there any reason not to replace the single stainless mesh with a single piece of slotted CPVC from the drain to the other end of the cooler?

A 10' piece of CPVC is less than $4 and the connections required (cap and threaded to CVPC connection) are under $3 for all. I would assume this would be much easier to clean as I'd just press fit everything. And if I wanted to go to a full manifold I'd have the pipe to do so in the future.

Am I missing anything?

I use a single piece of 1/2 pex with a line of 1/8" holes in my Coleman Xtreme. Pex is more flexible than cpvc. I put a brass stop at the end and connect to a cpvc threaded coupling to the nipple end.

HomebrewMTB said:
I use a single piece of 1/2 pex with a line of 1/8" holes in my Coleman Xtreme. Pex is more flexible than cpvc. I put a brass stop at the end and connect to a cpvc threaded coupling to the nipple end.

Any way of posting a couple of pics? I'm building one this weekend and was just gonna use the mesh like most have done. Are you happy with square vs round?

I am building one this week also and intend to use one of these....
149aybb_th.jpg

It is a pvc water well strainer, available in sizes from 1 1/2 inch diameter with the holes/slots as fine as .002 up to 1/8 inch. They are available at any well supply shop and come in any length...I plan to cut mine off to fit the lenght of the 36 qt cooler. I also have a sheet of very rigid stainless screen that I may use as a grainbed.

Latest posts

Back