Stainless steel basket for small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmtrees

Reaction score
I brew 2.5 gallon batches in a 5 gallon pot with a mesh bag. I'm looking to upgrade to something with a stainless steel basket, rather than the bag. I'd like to be able to directly heat the kettle without fear of scorching or splitting my bag. I really love the look of Clawhammer's basic (non-electric) kettle, but it's a 10 gallon system, and that's just a bit big for my small batches. I have never needed more than 5 gallons of space, even on very big beers. Does anyone know of something similar that's a little smaller? It doesn't have to be a complete system, I'm fine piecing things together, if need be.

Thanks for the link to Utah Biodiesel. It's more than I wanted to spend, but their stuff does look high quality. I'm leaning toward a 5 gallon kettle like the Ss Brewtech mini, plus a basket like this.

Do a false bottom of some type with your bag.

A bakers cooling rack works, is cheap, but most are not stainless. Stainless ones are not cheap but not expensive and can be found on Amazon or ebay.

I use a "steamer" basket and place my bag inside. It rests on the 1/2 pull thru for the thermometer and stays about 2" off the bottom.

A custom false bottom from one of the vendors works great too.

there are a bazillion ways to do BIAB...but only one way to make wort...hot water and grain...

I Used a Bayou Classic 6 Gal steamer kettle to piece together my EBIAB set up. Still have to use a bag in the steamer basket though. I really don't think the 1650 watt element will scorch the bag anyway.
small batch.jpg

Thanks, y'all! These suggestions are very helpful. I've come around to the false bottom idea, I think.

Latest posts

Back