Filtering between Keg Transfers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanGC

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I recently developed a recipe for an IPA that required Dry Hopping in the secondary and the serving keg. I had read online in a few different threads that advocated dry hopping in the keg using whole leafs. However, when it came time to transfer from the secondary to the keg, my local home brew supply shop only had pellet hops available. I quickly searched online for dry hopping using pellet hops in the serving keg, and found one scenario where a homebrewer had some success with this technique.

Come serving day, and my first 2 pints had very fine dissolved hop material floating in the glass, which, over time, settled at the bottom. My first few sips were fine, but the more I worked my way down the glass, the more the beer tasted like an extremely bitter hop tea (Try it, boil water and a few hop pellets. the taste is overwhelming).

I figured I could filter out the hops since I didn't boil them into the beer, which should salvage the taste. Are there any inline filters you guys would suggest to effectively remove most, if not all, of the hop particles? I plan transferring from my current keg, to another keg, and will place the filter in the transfer line.

The few I found online:

Plate Filter: Plate Filter | MoreBeer

Filter Canister: Filter Canister Housing - 10" | MoreBeer

Thanks guys.

I vote you let it sittle some more, a week or two in the cold. I dry hop with whole hops, but the first couple pints always have a little material in them plus some.yeast. after 3rd or 4th pull it is clear as day.

Perhaps the pellets just have more material. Maybe even look into using gelatin to help drop the yeast out, it may help clump up the extra stray hop particles.

gelatin might be a good idea. the particle amount is significant. lines the bottom of my glass after it settles after a few mins.

Then time will def help, those particles are settling in your glass so they will settle in the keg.

Another thing, make sure you aren't moving the keg at all. If I even tilt a keg to try and tell how much is in it the.next pour has some particles in it due to disturbing the stuff settled. If you look you can see the dip tube makes. Trench in the stuff at the bottom.

Some people will let the beer sit for a couple weeks in fridge, run a couple pints out until its clear, then jump the test into a clean keg as to avoid this.

You could also cut half an inch off the bottom of your tubes so they're not touching the bottom. I don't, because I feel like your loosing a pint or two that way.

Back