What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed 2 batches yesterday and cleaned my 3 empty kegs. So just airlock bubbling away right now :)

Transferred my Pale Ale to secondary..not bad at all for my first try at a Pale Ale, even got the wifey approval !!

Got two more long runs to make in this double run the kids all over creation Monday before I can finally take my shoes off & have some beers. :mad:

Got a starter going for the Yeast Bay's Funktown.
Kicked a keg of Belgian Rye.
Tapped an all Citra PA fermented with Kolsch. Amazing aroma!
Replaced the blowoff tube with an airlock on an all Citra PA fermented with Conan.

Dry hopped my Simcoe/Centennial/Citra IPA. Can hardly wait for this one to be ready.

Came home to the below picture so put a blow off tube on the India brown ale
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396916829.645421.jpg

Vid of Conan flocking the sh*t out that wort
http://youtu.be/nf9Q0W9FeJw

Nah I harvested from a can before the switch built it up and now going strong as hell, Conan is a beast

Moved the fermenters to guest bedroom and last night unpacked and put away this beer haul from my in law
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397070340.159128.jpg

Moved the fermenters to guest bedroom and last night unpacked and put away this beer haul from my in law
View attachment 192075

That's a lot of time-sensitive beer there... You either need to throw a beer-snob party or start trading some IPAs for cellar beers pretty quickly.

I ordered a pair of hydrometers and a few other things for future brews. I'll be doing a Vienna SMASH (still waffling between Amarillo and Simcoe), and I need a new hydrometer (broke a couple batches ago) so I can see if my efficiency improves my first time using the pro-quality malt that most of you guys use every time you brew. Now to decide if I brew tonight and withhold a hydro sample in the fridge, or if I should just wait a couple days for the hydros to arrive.

Cracked open the second bottle in my first batch back into brewing. Yeah - that's what I remember!

That's a lot of time-sensitive beer there... You either need to throw a beer-snob party or start trading some IPAs for cellar beers pretty quickly.

I ordered a pair of hydrometers and a few other things for future brews. I'll be doing a Vienna SMASH (still waffling between Amarillo and Simcoe), and I need a new hydrometer (broke a couple batches ago) so I can see if my efficiency improves my first time using the pro-quality malt that most of you guys use every time you brew. Now to decide if I brew tonight and withhold a hydro sample in the fridge, or if I should just wait a couple days for the hydros to arrive.

The only hydro readings that really matter are the final ones. I say brew. It shouldnt throw off your calculations of brewhouse efficiency, etc too much if you skip one OG reading.

The only hydro readings that really matter are the final ones. I say brew. It shouldnt throw off your calculations of brewhouse efficiency, etc too much if you skip one OG reading.

I was hoping to get an OG so I know if I'm getting better efficiency with the pro-grade grain.

The solution: I'm tossing a hydro sample worth of post-boil wort in a sanitized jar. It'll sit in the fridge for a couple days and I'll get a reading when the hydrometers arrive. Just turned off the burner on the boil, tossed in some whirlpool hops, and I'll have the immersion chiller running in about fifteen.

I was hoping to get an OG so I know if I'm getting better efficiency with the pro-grade grain.

The solution: I'm tossing a hydro sample worth of post-boil wort in a sanitized jar. It'll sit in the fridge for a couple days and I'll get a reading when the hydrometers arrive. Just turned off the burner on the boil, tossed in some whirlpool hops, and I'll have the immersion chiller running in about fifteen.

I gotcha. never heard of pro-grade grain neither. That should work though.

I am very jealous of you. I am at work and you are brewing. That is no fair.

Oh wait. you are in China. its probably evening/night there. I am still jealous of you brewing while I am not, but less so because you probably were already at work today.

Well yesterday, I hung out with two brew Budy's and bottled five. Then brew'd 10gal. Then Transferd 20gal and cleaned up the brewery. Oh and drank 8 bottles.

Kegged and bottled my Rosemary Blondie last night, the level of rosemary is just right there, but not over the top..came out better than I thought..except the color became darker (more like a golden amber instead of the golden color it was) after 2 weeks of cold crashing??

What do you mean by pro-grade grain? What were you using before?

The majority of my grain is feed-grade barley imported from Australia and malted (no idea of the degree of modification) by a company in the southeast of China.

However, I found an online seller who had 7 kilos of Weyermann Vienna (and some specialty malts from them) for a fairly reasonable price - about $1.25/lb. That's what I mean by "pro-grade" grain, Weyermann, Briess, and the other brand-name maltsters who use top-grade barley and the most advanced malting techniques. The SMaSH is a four-way experiment - first, to taste Vienna malt - second, to test my efficiency with pro-grade grain - third, to try an all-Simcoe brew - and fourth, to test a couple weird yeasts (dry "BG1" and "WF3" - purportedly from Laffort) against a couple known quantities (US-05, S-04), all fermented in individual 5L buckets.

Some would say it's a mistake to mix all of those experiments, but none of them actually get in the way of the others, and I'm a bit impatient :D

Transferred my saison to secondary. Added brett to it. First time using brett on anything. I washed some French saison yeast. I soaked some oak spirals in tequila and lime for part of my saison. Then dry hopped the a saison also. .. u see a trend here?

Transferred my saison to secondary. Added brett to it. First time using brett on anything. I washed some French saison yeast. I soaked some oak spirals in tequila and lime for part of my saison. Then dry hopped the a saison also. .. u see a trend here?

so....you like saisons?

Sampled a failed attempt at a moo-hoo clone, and made a brett starter for saturday. :rockin:

Bottled a Imperial Nut Brown today and started brewing a Summer Ale. Hopefully it turns out alright. It's my first brew that wasn't from a kit! Only time will tell....

The majority of my grain is feed-grade barley imported from Australia and malted (no idea of the degree of modification) by a company in the southeast of China.

However, I found an online seller who had 7 kilos of Weyermann Vienna (and some specialty malts from them) for a fairly reasonable price - about $1.25/lb. That's what I mean by "pro-grade" grain, Weyermann, Briess, and the other brand-name maltsters who use top-grade barley and the most advanced malting techniques. The SMaSH is a four-way experiment - first, to taste Vienna malt - second, to test my efficiency with pro-grade grain - third, to try an all-Simcoe brew - and fourth, to test a couple weird yeasts (dry "BG1" and "WF3" - purportedly from Laffort) against a couple known quantities (US-05, S-04), all fermented in individual 5L buckets.

Some would say it's a mistake to mix all of those experiments, but none of them actually get in the way of the others, and I'm a bit impatient :D

I need to stop complaining about chaff in my bags of grain, and whining if a yeast I want wont be in stock for a few weeks. First world problems. Have fun with your pro-grade grains, I know you will. :mug:

I need to stop complaining about chaff in my bags of grain, and whining if a yeast I want wont be in stock for a few weeks. First world problems. Have fun with your pro-grade grains, I know you will. :mug:

It's not all that bad - my regular grain is super cheap, and since I don't have a ton of space, sticking with dry yeast works out pretty well.

I was intrigued by the color of the Vienna SMaSH wort, it came out darker than I had expected. I also ended up with a ton of cold break, making me wish I had used kettle finings. I stopped using whirlfloc a couple batches ago when I had thick kettle trub almost to the one-gallon mark in a brew and ended up going to primary a few liters short of my goal, but this time around, an extra liter or two in the boil and whirlfloc or irish moss would have been helpful.

I brewed a hefeweizen kit with WLP300 as my yeast yesterday. Woke up this morning, checked it, and had to throw on an emergency blowoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back