what experiment should i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatgerm

Reaction score
I just brewed a Marzen and ended up with 2 better bottles with exactly 3.5 gallons of wort each. This seems like a great opportunity for an experiment.

Stats:
OG: 1.048
IBU: 20.1
Grain: 5lb. Pilsen
4lb. Munich
3lb. Vienna
2lb. 2-row
1lb. Caramunich
2 oz. Hallertau.

I have a 2.5L lager starter ready to pitch into one so I could do a lager/ale side by side comparison. Any other suggestions? Spices, temp, etc.?

Cool. I think I'll do a variation on that idea and put 1 in the temp controlled fridge at a constant 50F, and the other just in the garage where the temp will be allowed to fluctuate naturally and see what the difference in taste is.

I like it. Those of us with temp control get to rely on it and figure it makes a huge difference. I did one recently in the summer in the basement where half was in the fridge at 66F and the other half was in a swamp cooler, and got up to 75+. Both were fine!

wheatgerm said:
I just brewed a Marzen and ended up with 2 better bottles with exactly 3.5 gallons of wort each. This seems like a great opportunity for an experiment.

Stats:
OG: 1.048
IBU: 20.1
Grain: 5lb. Pilsen
4lb. Munich
3lb. Vienna
2lb. 2-row
1lb. Caramunich
2 oz. Hallertau.

I have a 2.5L lager starter ready to pitch into one so I could do a lager/ale side by side comparison. Any other suggestions? Spices, temp, etc.?

I more I for flavors added in secondary..... what's interesting in a marzen... maybe light vanilla and cinnamon flavors.

Subscribed.

I'm going to do a Marzen this March (obviously) and I like the simplicity of your recipe. What timing did you use for the hops, 1 at 60 and 1 at 15?

Back