Anyone interested in taking a stab at a clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huge1s

Reaction score
I wanted to try and re-create the Spanish Peaks Honey Raspberry Ale, but am pretty new to brewing so I thought I would ask for help on re-creating for a 5 gallon batch. I pulled this off the website:

Grains:
Caramel 40
Caremel 80
Munich
Vienna

Hops:
Williamette
Tettnanger
Cascade

Other:
Wildflower Honey
Raspberry Extract

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.013
ABV: 4.7

Yeast: ?

On a side note.... is there a good resource that you guys use when trying to clone a beer?

I'll try, though I know nothing about this beer...

7lbs 2-row
1lb Munich
1lb Vienna
0.5lb Crystal 40L
0.25lb Crystal 80L

1 oz. Willamette @ 60
1 oz. Tett @ 15
1 oz. Cascade @ 5

1lb of honey added to cooled wort

1-2oz raspberry extract added at bottling

Wyeast 1272 with a starter

Good luck! :mug:

I'll try, though I know nothing about this beer...

7lbs 2-row
1lb Munich
1lb Vienna
0.5lb Crystal 40L
0.25lb Crystal 80L

1 oz. Willamette @ 60
1 oz. Tett @ 15
1 oz. Cascade @ 5

1lb of honey added to cooled wort

1-2oz raspberry extract added at bottling

Wyeast 1272 with a starter

Good luck! :mug:

Thanks man... Did you just come up with that from experience of making something similar? I am looking forward to the day where I know enough to start experimenting.

Pick up a copy of "Designing Classic Beers."

Also, BYO's 150 clone magazina had a good intro about how to go about designing a clone...

Disclaimer, I've never made a beer like this. :D

But:
I have made a raspberry porter that called for 2 oz. of extract at bottling; I have read to add honey after you're wort is cooled so you don't boil off any of the aroma; the homebrewtalk wiki write-ups for styles will give you an approximation of % of grains to use, most breweries list their hop schedules in the bitterness/flavor/aroma order even if it's not specified, and Wyeat/White Labs have great info on what yeasts to use for styles...

And of course, HBT has lots of great information, and a ton of great brewers willing to help...

I bottled this last night. Thanks to AZ_IPA for the recipe help! This came out spot on (well, as spot on as warm, flat beer can be). I do think that this will be a little high on the ABV though. Brewtarget had and OG of 1.049 @ 70% efficiency and that included the gravity points from the honey. I hit 1.051 with 78% efficiency and that was before adding the honey which puts it up to 1.057. A little stronger than I expected but the taste is great so far.

I bottled this last night. Thanks to AZ_IPA for the recipe help! This came out spot on (well, as spot on as warm, flat beer can be). I do think that this will be a little high on the ABV though. Brewtarget had and OG of 1.049 @ 70% efficiency and that included the gravity points from the honey. I hit 1.051 with 78% efficiency and that was before adding the honey which puts it up to 1.057. A little stronger than I expected but the taste is great so far.

Awesome! Good to see people come back and post results!

Nice! Glad to hear it!

Now you've got a good starting point to tinker with! :mug:

Back