I picked up a used fridge for lagering, a moment of your time, plz.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewN00b

Reaction score
OK, it was used, and moldy, so I promptly bleached the absolute bejezus out of every available surface, and some even not all too available. I am impressed, it is far and above cleaner than any refrigerator I have used that was not brand new. So, that is that issue.

The day after tomorrow I will fire it back up. I just moved it from it's prior owner today, and because I had it on it's side for the 20 minute drive to it's new home, I wanted to give plenty of time for the internal gases to get normal. I don't know the workings of it all, but I was told to give it at least 24 hours to settle before firing it up.

Now, my question is this, what do I need to turn this baby into a lagering system? I hear people used external controllers, and power manipulators and such, but I don't even know where to start. I did a search but didn't find much information.

The device itself will not allow me to put a carboy of fermenting bucket in the freezer as it is just shy the necessary height, so I will be using the fridge section. Any pointers?

Thank you. When my better bottles from Austin Homebrew come in I know that the brew bug will kick in hard, and the next batch is going to be a wonderful doppelboch from midwestsupplies.com.

:)

Ok guys, that is awesome. I know what I will be ordering next.

Jesus, you all weren't kidding when you state that this isn't a hobby, it's an addiction. I have never spent so much money, so gladly, in all my life.

Now, I know you probably can't answer this, but will a standard fridge get cold enough to lager? Usually, I mean.

If you're just using it to lager, you don't need a temp controller. Normal fridge temps are fine. If you're fermenting in it, get a Ranco or Johnson.

If you're just using it to lager, you don't need a temp controller. Normal fridge temps are fine. If you're fermenting in it, get a Ranco or Johnson.

I will be (fermenting), so therefore I will be (buying the temp control device). Still, I wonder if this fridge will be able to even get to temps low enough? I guess the only way to find out will be by firing it up in a few days!

Wish me luck.

Is the firdge and the freezer attached by a wall? If so I would cut the wall out(being very careful to not cut through tubes(or wires but they are easy fix) or cut around the tubes and wires. Then you have space and where a glass carboy might not fit a 5 gal bucket may so you could use it instead. Or leave the wall in and use the a bucket in that space. Most firdges and can get below freezing on their own, with the freezer side helping, you will prob have no problem.

Nearly all fridges will get to freezing with just the factory thermostat, if they are in good shape, well insulated and the ambient air temp where the fridge is located is not too hot (an uninsulated detached garage). If you want to save money on the temp controller, and your only current desire is to lager in a carboy, you could open-up the air vent between the freezer and fridge section (the freezer does all of the cooling), place some wood or Styrofoam blocks on the lowest rack in the fridge to get raise the carboy as close to the freezer and further insulate around the carboy and door. But then you'll soon find that having your only brewing fridge dedicated to lagering will limit it's other uses--like adding a few taps in the door to make a kegorator.

The one fridge is a good place to start--especially if you got it for a song, but if you're really wanting to lager, seek out a cheap upright freezer (not the ones with the cooling lines attached to the shelves, for obvious reasons). You will definitely need temp controller to ferment in the freezer.

In my garage I have a fridge for storage and dispensing (taps) and a freezer for fermenting and lagering. But I could easily add one more freezer (I keep eying-up those small chest freezers on wheels in Wal-mart that are usually full of shrimp) just for lagering and use my current freezer just for fermenting.

Yes. HBing is an addiction, but the thrill of spending money quickly dissipates and you'll start to find yourself salivating every time you drive past the dump or recycling center; staring at the heaping pile of fridges, hot water tanks and anything that may have a motor, compressor or pump.

OK

The day after tomorrow I will fire it back up. I just moved it from it's prior owner today, and because I had it on it's side for the 20 minute drive to it's new home, I wanted to give plenty of time for the internal gases to get normal. I don't know the workings of it all, but I was told to give it at least 24 hours to settle before firing it up.

:)

Has nothing to do with gases. Metal shavings in the compressor are stirred up when you move a refrigerator. You need to allow time for them to settle to the bottom.

Has nothing to do with gases. Metal shavings in the compressor are stirred up when you move a refrigerator. You need to allow time for them to settle to the bottom.

Ah, I see. I did not know this. Good information, thanks!

Latest posts

Back